A Better Camera

Right now I have a Sony MP4 Net Sharing Camcorder. It REALLY isn't the greatest camera in the world:no:. I am looking for a decent camera between the 500 - 800 dollar price range. I am going to be a freshman so I'm a little tight on money.

Thanks - RR

Last edited:
Well, lucky for you I was in your shoes just about 4 days ago. I was just starting out, I'm in High School, and my budget for a camera was not in the thousands. After a few days of research, and some recommendations from people in the filmmakin gbusiness and this forum, I landed on the Panasonic PV GS500. It's got 3CCD color, 1-Full manual focus, a mic jack, but no headphone jack, and the quality/handelling is great. It's easy for a starter to get used ti ot, and I've already made a short film in the 2-3 days I've had it.

www.google.com, type in "Panasonic GS500" and some pretty cheap prices come up (between $400-$600) and then the accessories that are necessities (5 hour lithium battery, charger, 3lens kit) will cost around 2-3 hundred.

I ended up paying between $900-$1000 for the camera and everything I'd need to use it. Goodluck in your search!

I also recommend an Azden SGM-X Shotgun Mic for enhanced audio, I just purchased one about 15 minutes ago for $150.00, they really make the sound damn clear. Keep me updated with what you end up doing with the camera, we can compare shorts!

Careful buying from places that offer cheap prices... they'll often pull the contents of the box out from the manufacturer and sell the parts (illegally) separately to you, which may potentially void the manufacturer's warranty.

These are the gray market resellers, they are slightly evil. You'll end up paying as much at a reputable site as you will at one of these once they include everything you're supposed to get in the box in the first place (which the manufacturers require them to ship with the camera to be considered a reseller of that companies products).

Back