• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

$99 Orchestra

Hi everyone,

Has anybody else heard about this $99 Orchestra?

http://www.99dollarorchestra.com/#meltdown-tour

Basically, it's a 7 minute recording session aimed at recording 30s to 1:30. 30 musicians. So, I'm assuming you'd get a couple practice runs, record (once or twice), and you're done.

Instrumentation options that they're looking at include:
* Fl (picc), Ob, Cl in Bb, 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 17 Strings
* Fl (picc), 2 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 20 Strings
* 3 trumpets, 6 horns, 2 trombones, 1 bass trombone, 18 Strings
* 8 horns, 4 trombones, 1 bass trombone, 17 Strings
* 1 Fl (picc), 2 trumpets, 2 horns, 25 Strings

* also the option of trading out an instrument for grand piano

OK.....SO.....this is not something you're probably going to be using for a project. BUT......for those of us starting out.....who want to learn more about orchestration and how our music really sounds compared to samples (especially if your template isn't very good).......doesn't this seem like a good option?

If you can write and orchestrate a piece, put it on paper, send it to real musicians, have them play it back and record......for $99......you've gotten more information and knowledge from those findings than any sample library that could be bought for the same money. Or am I wrong on this???

I believe this is the orchestra that will be used; just a 30 person version:
http://www.wesorchestra.com/the-orchestra/

Would love some conversation on this so fire away.

I would agree. I think it pushes the idea of using real musicians, at an affordable rate, that's not too much to handle for someone starting out. With the cost of sample libraries, it removes the excuse of it being too expensive.

And if you can manage to write something pretty cool that they play well, you've now added a live orchestral recording to your demo reel.

Nice share Mike, this looks like a really cool idea. I'll be bookmarking them. The idea of an easy affordable alternative to sample packs is very attractive. (Sample packs are great, but they also suck, if you know what I mean...)

30s to 1:30 isn't much time, but I bet with a bit of planning you could make that work in longer projects. E.g. for a short film score, have them record your main themes/motifs, which you could then integrate into a longer bed of sample library stuff? Would also be great for orchestral parts in maybe a rock/pop/electronic production, where you could happily loop a couple of short parts.

I wonder if you get back a multitrack session or a stereo mix. Couldn't see details on the site. If you just got a stereo mix, it would make integration trickier.

My only concern is I'd want to be feeling pretty confident in my score before I submitted it, which is probably the opposite of where a lot of their customers would be. I know they say you can send them something very rough - even something whistled or hummed?! - but that seems like creating a lot of scope for not getting back what you expected!

Hey Mike,

I agree with your summation. I think that if you're pretty confident in your writing/orchestration for a live ensemble like this that you could certainly make it work for projects. The only thing is: I don't know if it's something that will always be offered by the group....or if it's more of a promotional type thing. I haven't gotten clarification on that. It does say that you can book longer sessions as well. If it's going to be a long0standing offer, this will be such an awesome learning tool!

I think it's an incredibly inexpensive way to learn writing and orchestration. You know, you write that "soaring" horn part.....which sounds great with samples.....only to find out live that it doesn't quite sound that way. A lesson learned. And you think: maybe next time I'll divisi out the cellos and use half to double the horns......or use the violas to double......or maybe even double with the trombones and leave the strings to their own thing, etc. Then the next time you go to write something like that, your brain remembers.

I also think about it this way. Each semester there are a number of 3D animation students who have these short animated films they've worked on, that have to be completed. They're generally only a few minutes in length (at most). Many of them seem to have a budget of anywhere from $150-$300 (on average) for music in their film. It's not much money, but it's not much music. But even with a small amount of money like that, you /could/would have enough money to take a small creative fee....BUT.....record live music for their animated project. Talk about bringing a film to life?!

If this is a price point that's going to last, it honestly changes the climate for what can be done with small music budgets, especially for short films. You do get what you pay for....so stuff might not sound perfect....but it's more about the learning process of writing/orchestration, technical aspects, and being in a recording session (remotely).

Last edited:
Back