7D or GH2?

So I have about a month left to decide what camera I want to buy to shoot my current and future projects.

I had been decided on the GH2 for its hacking capabilities, being mirrorless, and lens adaptability.

However, I have recently been looking at the 7D. And it has stroked my curiosity.

So my question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages to both?

Please let me know your recommendation of the two (with film-making in mind) and why?

Hi Scorer, we use the 7D at work for stills, I use the GH2 for stills and video at home, so I am very familiar with both cameras.

The 7D stops recording after 12 minutes, has no usable autofocus or viewfinder in video mode, and produces a softer image than the GH2.

In addition to the list you outlined above, the GH2 has an articulated LCD for self portraits and high/low angle shots, while the 7D's LCD is fixed.

The 7D is also a big, heavy beast of a camera that is significantly larger than the GH2 - on the other hand, it is also much more robust than the GH2. I have had the GH2 out in drizzle and been worried the whole time (that's why I got a GH3). No such worries with the 7D.

And the GH2, even though you can no longer find a new body on Amazon - and prices have gone back up after Christmas, is still a few hundred dollars less expensive than the 7D.

Here is a side-by-side that shows the resolution differential between the two cameras:

http://vimeo.com/20359196

But if you're thinking about spending $1199 for a 7D, why not just save up an extra $75 and get a used GH3? :)

Cheers,and good luck!

Bill

Thanks for the responses. As far as a used GH3 goes, I have a very hard time buying used Equip. I have really only bought used guns, and I haven't had good experiences with them. Its not easy trusting people that want to get rid of something.

The GH2 is surely a very impressive camera. I'm just worried about getting wide angle shots with it and such. Do you use pretty expensive glass with yours?

lightcameraaction: I have shot with the t3i and wasn't extremely impressed.

Back