75% of Cinemas are now Digital

Kodak has known digital projection is a reality, and that's why they've focussed on film as a capture medium and archival format.
I think it's great that they've signed deals with all the major studios, film shouldn't die and it certainly doesn't seem like it will be dying.

I think film has a great look to it - and it's another 'look' that you can utilise greatly. There's so much choice in camera format and medium these days - you not only have control over the lenses you use, the lighting you use, but also the stock/format you use. I can shoot a film on RED Epic because I think the film should be a bit more clinical looking than the 'nice' looking Alexa or film. I can shoot S16 for segments in a movie otherwise shot on Alexa. So much choice and so many options to really craft the look of a film.

I do like the subtle grain of film, and that's something that film projection brought back into a digital-originated movie, but I'm not overly fussed about it.

Some people are so rusted-on to specific camera systems and get zealous over them - everyone should embrace everything.

Kodak has known digital projection is a reality, and that's why they've focussed on film as a capture medium and archival format.

I remember reading somewhere that digital archival of a typical feature costs 12 times as much as film, which can simply be stored on a shelf in a controlled warehouse (salt mines are good for it I think?).

Maybe we'll have a "Analogue Anniversary" edition of some of our favourite digital movies in 20 years.

CraigL

The theater nearest to me, is still showing film. I can tell cause when I went to see Men In Black III, the movie screwed up playing, but you can tell by how the screw up looked while watching, that it was film.

Back