70D shipping... anyone done tests?

I'm quite interested in its focus pulling abilities.

This is a unique camera with a focus system that quickly establishes and pulls focus without hunting, so they say.

It's unique in the design, where they have every pixel split, able to tell the direction of OOF.

It's also a consumer level camera, not the normal pro and prosumer stuff I buy, so I'm also interested in the build quality.

Anyone?

The 70D has auto-focus capabilities - not focus pulling. The two can be very different things. Pulling focus involves more than just switching the focus plane; it's about timing the move to fit the action on screen. I would expect the 70D to focus as quickly as possible, which tends to draw attention to the action of focusing - are you interested in this for primarily documentary or narrative work? I would say if it's for narrative auto focus shouldn't be a concern when selecting a camera.

I haven't handled the 70D yet, but if it's anything like the 60D the build quality is somewhere between canon's consumer and pro lines. It doesn't have a magnesium alloy body like the pro lines, but it feels less hollow & plasticky than the consumer lines - it also has weather sealing on par with the 7D, whereas the consumer line has none.

It looked like the speed of pulling might be tunable, but it had the ability to lock on an object and pull focus when the object moved. That's what I meant by pulling focus -- keeping a moving object in focus.

It doesn't appear to have face or subject tracking. It looks like you can use the touch screen to shift focus, which could be useful in some situations. In the continuous autofocus mode though it still exhibits the same problem most autofocus systems do - it doesn't always know what should be in focus. Check out the sample video here:

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/canon-70d-autofocus-video-johnnie-behiri-cinema5d/

There's quite a few shots there where the focus momentarily drifts off the subject before returning - it doesn't appear to be hunting, which is nice, it's just that it's shifting as the composition of the shot shifts.

Back