• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

60i to 60p vs 30p to 60p for slow motion

Hey Indietalk,
I want to achieve the smoothest slow motion possible with the tools that I have.
My camera shoots 24p, 30, and 60i.
In final cut I am able to change 60i and 30p to 60p. I know that it's not "true" 60p obviously, but when I do this and then use optical flow for slomo, the result is a much smoother slomo.
My question to you all is this: Is it better to shoot in 30p and change it to 60p for slomo? Or is it better to shoot in 60i and change it to 60p for slomo?

Thank you.
-Feral

Nope. I say dumb stuff, every now and then. :) But in my opinion, I redeem myself by quickly recognizing my mistakes. When I was shooting and editing on miniDV, we didn't ever call it 60i. We called it 30FPS, and interlaced was the only option we had. I just learned that 60i is that same old-school frame-rate.

Some MiniDV cameras did actually record progressive 30p, it was just recorded as interlaced on the tape. When capturing it'd use 2-2 pulldown. I think. It's been a long time since I've dealt with that headache.

ah, the important thing about the 60i conform to 30p slowed down to half is that it requires NO additional processing on the host. No frame blending mode was used on my bird footage. This is why its so cool. Its basically like IN camera slo mo, but after the fact.. :)

Back