5D & L series glass in high humidity

Hello,

I have a 5D mkiii & a 24-105mm + a 50mm (both L series glass) that I bought after some furious wage saving!

I'll be using it in the jungle of New Guinea to make a doc over a six month period, and was wondering if anyone had used any of this equipment in similar environments?

If so, I'd be very interested to hear if you'd had any particular problems? I know it's all weather sealed, but presumably precautions still need to be taken.

It's a very vague question, but it would be great to hear from anyone who has advice.

Thanks

Generally, you'll want to make sure your gear is acclimatized. always give yourself an extra half an hour for your gear to come up/down to the temp of your surroundings (for me, it's warm inside to cold outside). Pop the case, but don't open it so the gear has access to the surrounding air.

The longer the lenses are in the conditions the better. I'd recommend spending a few hours acclimatising the lenses. Open the cases, and if you can, prop the lenses up (make sure you keep an eye on them if you do).

I'd be wary of precipitation, the heat and precipitation would be a worry for me when working with a 5D, but I'd also include the camera itself in the acclimatisation process, which will help with any issues.

Make sure you have lens cleaning fluid and tissue in case of any immediate fogging issues after the acclimatisation process.

Although not quite as bad as New Guinea, New Orleans gets rather hot and humid during the summer. I have a couple of 5Ds (ii & iii) and use L glass as well as standard Canon and Sigma lenses. I have not yet had any issues except for the focusing motor on the Sigma 24mm f2.8 is getting louder as it ages. All of the Canon lenses (L and non-L) have performed exactly the same since I got each of them.

Once you start doing "research" on the web trying to learn about lens fungus, you'll probably start having nightmares (a figure of speech) about it. But I have read online about how people who work extensively in tropical environments (is New Guinea tropical, anyway?), have to change their gear annually. And I've read that people who live in very wet and warm climates probably want to invest in one of those climate controlled lens cabinets. Can't vouch for the sources of this info coming from Lord knows whom. Six months? I don't know. Is New Guinea "bad" enough for such a period to worry about it? I'm not qualified to even guess. Not trying to worry you. But, since those are L lenses you are talking about, and since maybe you are not rich, might be worth thinking about a game plan to keep them dry, aerated, and cooled as much as possible. How much of a pain in the butt would it be to bring one of those climate controlled cabinets with you? Is it even necessary or worth it?

Back