5D, 6D or A7

So, I'm looking at my options and have a decent amount set aside for a new camera. By decent, I mean enough to buy a 5D and a couple good lenses. I'm researching as much as I can and feel like I've narrowed it down to a few cameras: The 5D, 6D and A7. I've read some great reviews about the A7 and the whole mirrorless technology thing, but I've always has Canon DSLR's in the past. I am a creature of habit, but don't want to keep myself from new experiences... I just trust the Canon line. I've read that the 6D offers many of the great features found in the 5D, minus some built in anti-aliasing and a couple other things.

I'm curious to know if anyone has used 2 out of 3, or better yet, 3 out of 3 of these cameras and what your experiences/recommendations are. I've also looked at the Black Magic, but ruled it out because I also love photography and want a good still camera as well.

If it helps, I will be primarily doing music videos and the occasional short film.

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

A7s absolutely.

I switched from a Canon 6D (owned a Canon 550D before that) to the A7s and it couldn't have been a better decision. I'm impressed with Sony and will be purchasing an A6300 as soon as low-light sample videos from actual consumers start popping up on youtube.

6D moire and aliasing are pretty bad. It's to the point where it makes the image look out of focus or something. It's not impossible, but pretty hard to get a useable image. The low light isn't really that good on the 6D.

I think I should also address the fact that regardless of low light capability, you should def light everything you're shooting anyway.

Last edited:
We have the A7s at work and I hate it. Sure, SLOG is nice, but you can't view a Rec 709 image easily without jumping through menus and bouncing back and forth between LOG and Rec 709 (that I'm aware of). Also, if you edit in Avid, good luck getting the AMA to work, you're going to have to transcode.

I shot on the T2i for six years and just purchased an URSA Mini last month. I looked into a 5D or 6D, but decided that if I was going to spend that much on a camera, I should get a proper cinema camera instead.

I highly recommend the a7s, though we use it with an external Atmos recorder so the issues that El Director has isn't an issue.

I've also used the 5d, though, dollar for dollar, it's not as good a deal as the a7s.

6D. No idea. Never used one.

No idea on the still photography side of it.

Back