50 year old newbie

Hi. I'm Jeff. I returned to making movies (I you can call what I do, making movies) after 25 years doing computer stuff. I am the videographer for my church. I work in DV and just got an HD Camera (HVR-Z1U). I use Final Cut. Some of the things I have done can be found at my personal website and at our churches blip site.

Most everything is 5-7 minutes because of limited time to show videos in a service.

I am still trying to figure out the best work flows for the High Def camera.

My goal is to do everything I can to make the little videos I do look as professional as possible so the audience (i.e. the congregation) will not be distracted by technical flaws. Yet I cannot get too flashy or people will be distracted by the technique and miss the message.

Sounds good

Jeff,

Sounds like you have the wisdom. Now you just need the practice! Keep going... And if you feel confident about any of your 5-7 minute shorts, you may want to submit them to various film festivals. It's always gratifying to see your work on the big screen. (OK, not always. Hahaha! But most of the time.)

One of the techniques we (YAFI) use is to use our last production to figure out our weakest part of the puzzle and attack that in the next one. You'll advance your skillset a little bit at a time, but it will advance. Not just technical, but on set mechanics/dynamics as well.

Welcome to our addiction, it's a horrible/wonderful thing :) I am currently working with college students on their films for school and revelling in the ART that they can apply to my CRAFT. It'll soak in eventually.

Back