• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

5.1 mixing

I've never done it before, so I need some help, but does this make any sense?

I edited the film in Premiere and it's going to be presented at a theatre next month, so I want to create a 5.1 mix.

Voice goes 100% in the centre channel, right?

But what about the soundtrack?

Does it make any sense placing each of the instruments of the soundtrack as I did in the picture above? I have them all using 0% of the crentre channel.

I'm definitely not an expert in mixing for 5.1 but it seems very strange to me that you're mixing the music outside of actual music production software. Would it not be better to mix the music in a 5.1 environment INSIDE the project you created the music?

I expect you'll create some odd phase issues and will not be able to predict how the volume will be affected over all.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the possibility of creating those phase problems.

Each instrument is in stereo format and I created the music using the synthesizer's sequencer. I then recorded each track to a separate file so I could have more flexibility in controlling the volume, panning and EQ of each instrument. Things like reverb already came out right off the synth. It turned out that 90% of the adjustments were made on the piano track.

I also have some instruments associated with characters (and themes), so I animate the panning of each of those instruments according to the position of the character on screen.

I didn't feel the need to go to through another audio software, because I was just thinking about stereo sound, 5.1 was an afterthought.

I'm going to create different versions with different sounds and ask them if I can watch the film at the theatre before the exhibition.

But I am going to follow your advise and create a 5.1 file with just the soundtrack.

Here's the soundtrack BTW: https://soundcloud.com/guerra-das-conchas/cap-1-soundtrack

Last edited:
That panning is not going to work, you are going to have serious phasing issues, depending where you're sitting and that's just for starters. Even in a small room, like a sitting room or edit suite it would sound quite strange, especially as it seems you've recorded the reverb with the instrument. Didn't you notice it sounded strange when you tried those panning positions?

G

A.P.E. needs to chime in for sure, as this is his profession.

The spoken human word - dialog, voice-over, etc. - is in the center channel of a surround mix 99.9% of the time.

It's customary to keep the score/music in the front and spread across the stereo spectrum. When doing film work (and advertising) you try to keep sounds that will interfere with the human voice out of dead center, but this can be difficult.

We all hate doing things because "everyone else does it this way," "it's customary," "it's standard practice," etc., etc., etc. But there are always reasons. Audiences are used to hearing most things from in front of them. When you go to a concert with a full orchestra you are facing a stage, not in the middle of them. Mixing practices have become as if you were the conductor. Breaking with "customary standard practice" pulls the audience out of the filmic illusion.

Surround created a whole bunch of new issues. Lots of mixers are sending some of the reverb returns to the back speakers to create "depth." When it comes to mixing sound effects great care is taken to keep the audience in the illusion; sounds with odd placements give audience the "something is wrong" feeling, pulling them out of the moment.

We won't even get into having the proper mix environment, which is another issue.

Thanks guys!

So I think the safest thing to do is to make a stereo mix of the soundtrack and then send it to the left and right channels and just put the voice on the centre, leaving the surround channels empty?

What about the subwoofer? I guess there's no problem in sending 50% of the soundtrack to the subwoofer?

So I think the safest thing to do is to make a stereo mix of the soundtrack and then send it to the left and right channels and just put the voice on the centre, leaving the surround channels empty?

That's "standard practice." As I mentioned, you may want a bit of reverb return in the rear channels.

What about the subwoofer? I guess there's no problem in sending 50% of the soundtrack to the subwoofer?

50% is perfect. No, 50% is the entirely wrong thing to do.

You put in exactly what is needed. You may not need anything. There is no way to quantify it. That's why a properly calibrated system in a properly treated room is so crucial, so that the mix translates accurately across a variety of playback platforms.

Thanks again.

So, given the type of music I recorded, I think I will leave the subwoofer out of the mix and maybe send a bit of the strings' reverb to the surround channels.

But I'm going to try to make different versions and hear it before in the theatre, because I have no chance of finding the ideal conditions to test it nearby.

I take it you only actually have a stereo system and you are just going to send material (such as narration) to the centre channel without ever being able to hear it except in stereo? If this is the case, you are going to run into a number of likely problems, as there is no simple or predictable relationship between the stereo you are hearing in your room and what your mix will sound like in a cinema. My best advice is to keep your mix as simple as possible, just use the 3 front speakers (not the rear speakers or LFE channel) and take several versions to try with a different balances between the narration in the centre channel and the music in the left and right channels. Remember also to keep your levels very low, cinema sound is completely different to mixing music. Keep your levels somewhere around -20dBFS for example.

G

Learned a lot and found out that there's still a world to learn in what concerns mixing for a cinema.

To be honest, even if you spend tens of thousands on equipment and acoustics you'll still never be able to mix accurately for cinema. It's best as time goes on and you have a budget, to hire professionals to do the audio for you, there's just no way around that if you want your mix to sound half decent.

-20dB? So low?

Ah, you're obviously coming from music mixing. -20dB is not "so low", it's actually quite loud! If you have dialogue playing at an average of -20dB it will actually be too loud. It's only in music where years of the loudness wars have resulted in mixes crushed to within a fraction of a dB of 0dBFS but we're talking about cinema sound mixes, which have virtually nothing in common with music business mixing practises.

G

Ah, you're obviously coming from music mixing. -20dB is not "so low", it's actually quite loud! If you have dialogue playing at an average of -20dB it will actually be too loud. It's only in music where years of the loudness wars have resulted in mixes crushed to within a fraction of a dB of 0dBFS but we're talking about cinema sound mixes, which have virtually nothing in common with music business mixing practices.

Except that the "louder is better" syndrome has crept into the attitude of know-nothing film newbs. They mishear/misread something about using huge amounts of compression to improve "presence" or some such nonsense.

I know some people that avoid going to the cinema because the sound is too loud.

A few months ago, I sent the files to a guy to do the mixing (stereo) and improve the general sound quality, but I ended up not using what he did. The files went back and forth 3 times and I gave up. He insisted in doing what you said, Alcove Audio, the sound was much louder, with lots of compression on the voice and also on the piano.

The last version he sent me was more light on the compression, but I still prefered the sound just as it came out of the synth, with just a little EQ to help separate the voice from the music. I also prefered the voice without any kind of noise reduction.

I have the feeling that Ed Wood in me (which occupies a lot of the available space) would cry "Perfect!" at much less than what you would consider a half decent mix, AudioPostExpert :)

On the other hand...

The films were conceived as something for tv or youtube, so I had never given a serious thought about quality standards for cinema. But they were accepted in a few festivals and this is the first time I will be able to see a film I did in a cinema.

While I am not especially demanding, I don't want my first experience at a festival to make me cringe because the audio is so horrible that it prevents anyone from watching the film without noticing it constantly.

I admire your knowledge but I'm also conscious about my limitations. I'm just trying "drive the car and get to my destination without hurting anyone on the way", I know I'm not the kind of guy that will know how the engine works. So your tips have been extremely useful... including the one about letting the pro's do their work next time and right from the beginning :)

Last edited:
I know some people that avoid going to the cinema because the sound is too loud.

Me too but that's a long and quite complex debate which has been going on for some time in the audio post community. It involves cinema size, calibration techniques, aural perception of volume and half deaf directors, who ultimately dictate the loudness.

A few months ago, I sent the files to a guy to do the mixing (stereo) and improve the general sound quality, but I ended up not using what he did. The files went back and forth 3 times and I gave up. He insisted in doing what you said, Alcove Audio, the sound was much louder, with lots of compression on the voice and also on the piano.

More and more, people who have studied sound/music technology and/or been professional music producers turn to audio post as a way to stay in the sound business, as the earning potential in the music business has died away. There are almost no technical demands in music production/mixing, it's almost entirely down to aesthetics and as music is abstract, the fact that a mix will sound different from playback device to playback device is of no great importance as long as it still sounds "good". Audio post is entirely different, way more technical demands/requirements and getting it to sound the same on different playback systems (translation) is of far more vital importance because sound for film/TV is not abstract like music.

Unfortunately, those coming from university or the music business are almost without exception completely ignorant that differences between music and audio post even exist, let alone have any clue about how to address those differences in practice. Your story is incredibly common, hiring someone who apparently has the equipment and education and professes to have knowledge/experience audio post and end up providing unusable mixes or worse still, mixes which inexperienced directors think are acceptable but which aren't. It's becoming more and more common for directors to be scammed by these "audio pros" even though the scamming is usually due to ignorance rather than deliberate fraud.

I have the feeling that Ed Wood in me (which occupies a lot of the available space) would cry "Perfect!" at much less than what you would consider a half decent mix, AudioPostExpert :)

You may listen to a mix on your laptop, headphones or even studio monitors in your editing room and think it sounds perfect but play that mix back in a cinema and it will probably sound terrible and the opposite is just as true.

In my experience, your statement is not true. I have never done a mix which a director thought was perfect, there are always changes required! Once a director gets into a purpose built calibrated mix room they hear so much more detail that they automatically become far more critical/demanding and I'm certain this would be just as true for you as for every other director.

I'm just trying "drive the car and get to my destination without hurting anyone on the way", I know I'm not the kind of guy that will know how the engine works. So your tips have been extremely useful... including the one about letting the pro's do their work next time and right from the beginning :)

If you are trying to create a 5.1 or even a 3.0 mix for a screening in cinema on a prosumer stereo system then your driving analogy would be much more like trying to learn to drive a car when all you have to practise on is a bicycle. In other words, what you are trying to do is not really possible. That's why the best advice I can give is to keep your mix as simple as possible and to take versions with the narration at different levels relative to the music, so at least you should have a version where you can clearly hear the narration without it being deafening or being unintelligible because the music drowns it out.

G

Last edited:

In that image, it's showing you the room and speaker placement for each track - so the one you have there for narration is where you put dialogue - the center speaker.

Those little round divets in each corner and the center/top are "pockets", meaning the 5.1 speakers you are pushing the sound towards.

I've never done it before, so I need some help, but does this make any sense?

I edited the film in Premiere and it's going to be presented at a theatre next month, so I want to create a 5.1 mix.

Voice goes 100% in the centre channel, right?

But what about the soundtrack?

Does it make any sense placing each of the instruments of the soundtrack as I did in the picture above? I have them all using 0% of the crentre channel.

Much agreed with AudioPostExpert.

My 2 cents: if you're not monitoring in 5.1 and familiar with the standards of this type of mixing, you shouldn't even attempt it for a project that's going to be shown in a public theater. 5.1 requires much knowledge of how a multichannel film mix is created, not merely what goes in what speaker. My suggestion to you is find a capable film mixer that would be willing to work with you on your project under whatever budget you may ( or may not ) have. You can always keep your stereo mix ( or have them create a new one as well ) and at least you'll have the option of using a 5.1 mix if it sounds good and the need arises.

As far as music only being in 2 channels - this is another topic that would require much debate. While that is often the case; just as often it is not. When delivering a song for a big budget film, I deliver stems that the film mixer can than use as they see fit, so if they want it to be split out multichannel they have that option. There is also "upmix-ing" - a process where a stereo mix is essentially sent through an algorithm where 5.1 information is derived from it. I was very skeptical of this process at first but after hearing some astounding results I am a believer. I'm sure you've heard this too where in a film you hear an older recording in a multichannel format - one where surely no multichannel mix or stems exist.

Last edited:
I did a surround sound mix a few years ago with Nuendo. You can do whatever sounds good. Like painting a canvas.
Generally dialog and sound FX go in the front L & R speakers.
Music and ambience can spill into the back L and R speakers.
Since I ADR'ed all of the dialog I was able to spill the reverb into the back L and R speakers too.
Since I wrote a lot of my music I was able to do a special surround mix for the opening music. More separation helps the listener pick out all of the instruments.
I also replaced all of the other sound (cars, etc). Occasionally you can do panning across speakers such as when a car drives by.

Last edited:
Back