48 hour sound setup thoughts

Hey everybody, so we just got done shooting a 48 hour short film here in Austin. I was Executive Producer and also did Sound Design. Anyways I really like doing sound and this was the most complicated setup I have ever done. The second scene of the movie was like a casual bbq party and I wanted to give my friend(the director of the film)as much freedom with the camera as possible so I went to an almost straight wireless lav setup(except of course when boom was necessary) I know this is generally frowned upon, as boom will give a more natural sound, but after lots of testing I thought I could get away with it. And it sounded really good, it was also challenging to have to hide all the lavs(use moleskin, and when it's hot outside use medical tape to secure the moleskin even more, the sweat will make it fall off) and sometimes I just went with plant mics. I used my sound devices 702, I rented a shure fp33(which I really loved btw) This gave me 3 mic input, but I needed more sometimes, so used my Zoom H4n to plug in 2 wireless lavs, threw my boom on the 702. This gave me a total of 5 mics if I needed. The zoom can handle the lavs, but I would never put a boom on it, way to hissy. Also I use the Rode ntg-3 with a windshield. And the lavs I use are sony uwp v1(I have four of them). I have another gig in a couple of hours.(filming and doing sound with same friend) It's a business meeting with alot of people. My plan was to lav up the main speaker, use plant mics for the audience, and also use the zoom's internal mic just to have it. I don' t think I'll use boom(I'm bringing it just in case though) This is the plan I have so far. I plan on using this forum a lot more, i'm always on here, just have been to busy to post. If anybody has any other suggestions on sound for the business gig let me know.

cool. Yeah the setup was alot different than what they had told me. They had 4 speakers on a panel(instead of one) and the audience. So my plan changed ALOT.lol I didn't lav up anybody, used four plant mics. Two for the four speakers(they all sat close to each other on a long table) and two for the audience. It worked out decently, I should have the levels a little higher than what i did though, had to boost them in post a little which is not ideal. Anyways tthx for the site.

Back