48 Hour Film Project Tips

I am directing a film for this years 48HFP in New Orleans. I'm really excited and we have a great team including the sound mixer from the Sundance and Cannes winning film, Beasts of the Southern Wild as well as a great producer. However, this is most of our first times doing a 48. We have done many shorts in a very short period of time, but I am assuming this is going to be quite the wakeup call.

In any case, I am extremely excited and just wanted to talk to some people who have finished the 48 already and have any tips. Mainly I am not looking for what equip that I need or anything, but rather just tips on like what I can expect. How did you manage your time? Those kind of things. Thank you!

I've done two of these! I did one last summer!

Have LOTS of coffee on hand. You will probably not get much sleep.

Delegate to your crew. The director can't do everything him/herself.

Feed everybody. Pizza goes a long way, or McDonalds $1 cheeseburgers and $1 fries, everybody's happy and not hungry and can keep their minds on the project.

Make sure the people you have working on this are reliable and not the type to just stand around for the behind-the-scenes pics.

Make sure you have a shot sheet! This might sound obvious, however try to work without one (I had to, it wasn't fun)

Lighten up and have fun! You will learn so much from this, what your crew knows, how resourceful they are, how quick you can come up with a 'Plan B'. Plus, you will know who you can work with again.

-- spinner :cool:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Yes, my crew will be fed complimentary of our producer so that should be fine and I am sure that we will stock up on coffee and five hour energy. Thanks for the tips about the shot list (yes an obvious one, but it is always nice to be reminded of its importance). I am excited to see what I learn and it should be great.

BTW, could I see your past 2 videos? I would love to see what you were able to do in 48.

Set yourself a hard schedule ahead of time to figure out what you're going to do story/plot/premise-wise. Our deadline is always midnight on Friday - whatever we've got at that point is what we're going to shoot. Naturally things will change as you shoot, but having a deadline like that keeps you moving forward - it's easy to get bogged down trying to figure out the idea.

Speaking of ideas - what you need to come up with is a story, not just a premise. When you're brainstorming everyone will have a bunch of cool premises, but the hard part is taking the premise and giving it a solid beginning/middle/end structure that will turn it into a satisfying film for the audience. This is one of the biggest mistakes I see in 48 hour films - they start with a good premise, but then the end film just 'happens' and doesn't really go anywhere.

Keep your idea simple too - it's better to have a simple idea, executed well, than to try to achieve something too complex and have it fall short all over the place.

And continually moving forward is the real key. You'll never get things perfect in the time you've got - you need to be constantly triaging the things you want to accomplish against the time you have left. That means you need to know from the start what the most important elements are and which you can drop if you find yourself running behind. There's always a few teams that miss the cutoff time by an hour or less, which means they totally could have finished if they'd been just a little more conscious of their time. Leave yourself time to render, and time to copy the finished film to the delivery media.

And have fun, of course!

Don't let too many cooks in the kitchen. The brainstorming/screenwriting phase can be utter chaos if you've got even just a handful of people. You don't have time to bat around a million ideas. In my opinion, the screenwriting team is best when capped at two people, max. I think it helps if one of those people is director, because that eliminates the process of the director trying to interpret what the screenwriter wrote.

Do some test renders, right now. Find a similar project, completely finished, with color-grading, etc., and see how long it takes for your editing computer to export the file. Then find out how long it takes to burn it to DVD, or whatever your process is going to be. Then, plan to allow for twice that amount of time on Sunday.

I think it helps if one of those people is director, because that eliminates the process of the director trying to interpret what the screenwriter wrote.

This is really important. We brought in someone just to handle the screenwriting part once, gave him the concept and went to sleep. In the morning we had a script that would have been difficult to pull off in weeks, let alone days, as well as requiring a significant budget, permits, etc. Someone needs to be directly involved in the writing process who knows exactly what you can pull off with the resources and time you have.

Speaking of resources - that's one of the things you can actually work on ahead of time. Figure out what you can get access to for that weekend, especially anything unique - then build your story around the best resources you've got. There's not a lot of time to go looking for locations, props, etc once the competition starts.

My tips thats I ve learned For the last two 48 hour projects:

1. Don't have too many writers. 3 at the most. I ve learned any more than three - and everyone is overtaking everyone and some good ideas are not heard.

2. Keep your story short. Just because you have 7 mins - doest mean you need to use it. There are so many films were shown that are so f***king long. Unbelievably long.

3. Stay away from intro credits. They re useless.

4. Keep end credits short and simple. They ll eat up your time.

5. Did I say keep your short movie short?? Like 5 mins short.

6. If u don't have a good mic - rent/borrow one. Saves a ton of time in post when you don't have to clean up as much. Which brings to.

7. For exterior- stay away from parks and main freeways. 48HFp typically hens on the weekend so there is a ton of people travel/hang out in the park. They will be noisy and your audio will be crap.

8. If you re a director/writer/editor - you re not allowed to sleep any more than 2 hours on 1st night and 3 hours on 2nd night. Suck it up and deal with it. Be energetic because as soon as ur energy is dropped - your crew will go all to hell.

9. Drink coffee, but most importantly - DRINK WATER!! You don't want to be dehydrated , sleepy , mentally exhausted and thirsty all at the same time.

10. Take 10 min breaks for every hour of work. Trust me, it might seem like a waste of time - but your brain needs them to be productive.

11. If you re editor- give yourself 2 hours on export of the final video. I thought all I needed was 30 mins, until I start having problems with copying the file onto USB drive, which took me an hour and we turned in our movie 7 mins till the deadline. Too close and I almost put a hammer through my computer.

12. Uring the shoot - relax an roll with it. Someone will forget some prop/costume so just work around it. This would be a great time to see how flexible you can be.

13. Know your gear. This year we were shooing a western on rail road tracks, and because it was an extremely busy train track I decided to do 4 wide shots on the train tracks and the remaining MCUs and CUs on he parking lot 150 feet away. The crew freaked out because they didn't believe me that we can pull this trick off. I just opened the aperture (1.4 on 50mm lens) to get the max depth of field, increased the shutter speed ( I mean I went from 1/48th to 1/6400th! which is a big No No when you shoot stuff but this was a minimal actor movement scene) because I didn't have dark enough filter and the trick worked freaking beautiful. So learn you tools and how far you can bend the rules to get what you need.

14. Don't yell at your crew but know when to stop the horseplay. Everyone is there to have fun, especially if your crew/cast are your friends. Let them go on crazy tangents and have fun on the set, but remember - you re there to make a movie, so you might occasionally have to streets the team in a right direction. But don't be a nazi about that neither.

That's it for now. I'm sure I can come up with something else. We did two 48 hour film projects and both were freaking awesome.
Oh. Scheduling.

Finish your screenplay by 11pm on Friday, Don't shoot past 2 pm on Saturday (lots of people during the Saturday, especially of its nice out) and finish your final edit at 3pm on Sunday.

The project for this year's SF 48 that I helped on, won audience choice for its category.

Make sure the set is ran as close to professional as you can. That means only a select few can talk to the director (same for the talent as well).

The sun is not your friend.

Food. Food. Food.

Prepare as much as you can as soon as you get the info the day of.

Diffuse responsibility as much as you can. Your director should not be doing DP things and vice versa.

Back