48 Hour Film Challenge and What Became Of It, Pt. 2

SUNDAY

Director and I got an early start and went to meet the composer for the film. He was a cool guy who really had a handle on the film noir type of sound for our project. So as we captured our footage into the computer, we made sure we talked to him about what would be happening in the scenes he would be working on and let him see some of the scenes. But capturing was moving slower than expected. For those who don't know, 'capturing' means putting the footage that you shoot into your computer to be edited.

The edit system that we were using was a Windows based system called Sony Vegas, that we were intending to use along with Sound Forge for the music. Though I am familiar with editing, I was not familiar with THIS system. I know how to use Mac based Avid and Final Cut Pro and I had it on my laptop, but the decision was made on Friday to use Vegas which was okay with me. I knew wouldn't be able to make heads or tails out of Vegas that quickly, but one thing I am good at: I know how things should look, so I decided not to worry...at least initially. At Noon when we were still capturing, I began to worry. I pace when I am thinking anyway, when I am worrying, I can wear a groove in the floor.

Good News: everything is captured. Bad News: Its 1:30pm.

Okay, I had a good idea of what and how the film should be put together, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to figure out Vegas, so the solution was to have Director put hand to equipment and I would tell him what clips to take. Did I mention that the beautiful audio that we recorded was on DAT? Well, it was. The problem: editing fast. Can't do it if you also have to sync up audio.

To shoot, I used my Panasonic DVX100a, our other shooter used a Sony camera, I don't remember what it was, but it was a nice camera. Here's the problem. His camera had not been set up to record sound because audio was being recorded to DAT.

So, even though my footage had audio, such as it was, as a guide, the Sony had no sound. There was the clapper on DAT, but we would have had to sync up sound to each clip we selected.

The rest you can guess.

We called it a day somewhere around 1:45, 2:00 that afternoon. There was NO WAY we would be able to get all of that edited. Maybe if we had put everything into my laptop, I could've put something together with Final Cut, but by that time we would've had to have been done by 5:30pm because we were an hour and a half away. Our 5 minute film would have had to be done and turned in by 7:00pm that night.

There was no way we would make it, and so my friends and neighbors, (heavy sigh) we could not finish and therefore were DQ-ed.

EPILOGUE

Now, here is the thing about this reversal of fortune.

First, I don't believe in failures. I do believe and always will, that you learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes. So, some of these things you will recognize, but you REALLY learn when it happens to you, so you newbies, pay attention:

1. When doing a competition of this kind, DO NOT SLEEP.
Invest in COFFEE, ENERGY DRINKS, NO DOZE WHATEVER. Have gum, walk around, do exercise, DO SOMETHING. You cannot sleep. Sleep when you are dead, have a nice day.

2. It is a good idea to be very clear about what needs to be shot and how.
There was a point at which I really didn't have a clear idea of what or how to shoot. I think that I am a good shooter, so at one point I asked the Director to just let me shoot for him and I would shoot what made sense to me. So what I shot was close ups, when our other camera shot wide shots. This can be unsafe, because you don't know what you are going to get, but I tried to do what made sense and in terms of the footage we acquired, it was okay.

3. If you are not behind the camera, you are IN THE SHOT.
Even if you are not in the shot, ASSUME THAT YOU ARE IN THE SHOT. There were some pivotal scenes with good shots and expression that could not be used because someone was in the shot, which cuts down on the number of choices you have. If you have to ask, the answer is YES.

4. Don't fix it in post.
Yes, you can fix some things in post, but don't rely on this. Everyone knows this, but it bears repeating.

Some other things I learned:
The smallest crew that you can do things with is two. Yourself and one other person. We had ten people on our group, five actual production folks. I learned this for myself, just from observing what our group did and comparing it to my shoot over the past October.

For myself, I think I need to learn how to be more assertive. I'm no shrinking violet, people who know me know this is true. I tend not to be intimidated very easily, either. However, I do seem to let myself let protocol dictate my actions a lot. Not that this is a bad thing. But it isn't my job to tell the Director what to do. As part of his crew, it is my job (the way I understand it) to help the Director with his vision whatever that may be.

A few months back, I did a shoot with a friend where the shots he wanted were some that I'm not a fan of, however, I did know this person and trust that HE knows what he wants and why. He's a smart guy. He's the Director. I have to respect that. I do, however, throw out some ideas. If they are used great. If not, that's okay. I expect the same when I am Director.

...So, that is the story of the film short competition. Feel free to contact me and tell me your opinions, your sob stories, your 'I told you so's'. I would love to hear them. Or if you have any knowledge or insight, give that as well. I know some of you will definitely give your opinions :)

Later.....Spinner :cool:

Thanks for sharing -- sounds like you had a blast.

I've never done one of these comps -- thought about it a few times, but always had something else going on.

I did develop a plan though --

Step One -- find four actors who all know each other and who excel at improv -- work with them on drama games for a few evenings the week before the comp.

Step Two - crew up -- director/DOP as the same person -- sound guy -- make-up/wardrobe -- production manager -- editior

Step Three -- buy in too much tape stock -- figure on ten plus tapes

Step Four -- brainstorm the story outline with the cast - whilst your make up person gather props/wardrobe and your production manager finds locations.

Step Five -- Whilst you rehease scene one with the actors sketch floor plans for your coverage -- production manager and make-up set up the first location.

Step Six -- Film scene 1 - rip out tape and sent it to editor -- move to next location set up next scene.

Step Seven -- Editor rough cuts scene one whilst you shoot scene 2 -- continue until film is in the can.

Step Eight -- Wrap shooting with only your last scene to digitise in -- cut that

Step Nine -- Tighten edit

Step Ten -- Call four jazz muso friends -- mic them up and improvise the sound track (takes about two hours to get fab with the right people)

Step eleven -- mix it down

Step twelve -- sleep

Of course everything is easier on paper, but I think to edit and film at the same time is the key to these gigs -- that and having a cast that's really into improv and used to working off each other.

Thanks Spinner for your accounts of what happened.
Too bad it didn't work out for you.

Do you plan on finishing it at some point?

I would say that for a competition like this, if you have the equipment, just for the ease of post, capture the sound on one of the cameras, the more steps you can take out of every level of production, the better. A separate editor is a great idea Clive! I'd like to see the finished project anyway too! It may not have made it to entry deadline, but you shot it, may as well edit it and throw it to the sharks to pick apart and learn from it any way.

Sounds like you had fun anyway, so congradulations!

When we did ours I found it good to have a dedicated sound guy, and two editor/DoPs. We would always have someone capturing and someone filming, which not onhly sped the editing process, but also gave a chance for one team to take it easy while the other laboured. When we didn't need audio, our editor would pop out a rough cut for the sound guy to mix, and a duplicate copy for the composer to fiddle with. It ended up working out pretty well and out of a team of 9 folks, only 3 didn't sleep the whole weekend. I really think you nailed it with #1, Spinner- don't sleep. If you don't have a story, someone should be out there filming stock footage and exteriors based on a theme from the challenge pack. 48 hours can be the longest and shortest time, but as long as it's a fun time and good memories, that's all that really matters most.

Thanks, you guys for the comments!

I did have a good time, but I have to admit that I loved editing this thing together. I did the editing on Sunday (yesterday) and I am finishing the audio and music tonight and tomorrow.

Clive,
Your approach is almost exactly what I would have done. But since we were all new at this, things were more spontaneous. Possibly the cameraperson could edit, I had a good idea of what had been shot and even saw some good cutaway shots that I had acquired during some of the rehearsals. When I know what we are getting shotwise, I do a better job.

CootDog,
I am just about done with it. It will probably not be much longer than 5 minutes as it is under 5 right now without the credit roll. I am going to try to enter it in the Chicago Really Short Film Festival. I have been planning to attend but now maybe I will have something to enter if I can get it to them by Sunday (April 2).

Knightly,
I agree with the audio suggestions you've made. From now on, I intend to use my good mic whether it is needed or not just for my own peace of mind. You never know. Yeah, we shot it, so I hope to make it available to you all. There are many things that could've been improved, but for me, it was an editing learning experience in terms of learning how to use the color corrector in Final Cut Pro, and also to use the audio correction stuff. I've never had to use it before and I am glad I am learning it.

By the way, Final Cut Pro RULES!!

Spatula,
I knew you would have good comments since I know you've done this kind of competition before. I think that the next one I get involved with, and I do intend to do another and finish this time, I can know what to expect. I already have about three people who want to try to do this if another 48hour competition come around. I will probably contact you again for more pointers....

I'll probably contact ALL of you for more pointers! :lol: As soon as I can, I will make the 'film' available :D

...now if I can just get my doc to begin moving again, I am still in need of a camera person. Oh, well...

-- spinner :cool:

Back