4 Short films or Feature?

I have been planning to shoot four short films during the summer. I have already wirtten the scripts and casting is almost finished. these four films were going to be combined into "the stonington anthology", i was going to put them all onto the same dvd. my dad suggested the other day that i just combine them all into one film. i think it would be cool to make a feature because i never have before but i am a little tired of films about different that all have something in common, see Magnolia, Crash, Pulp Fiction... given those are some of my favorite films, im wondering if i should keep them seperate or try something different and combine them.

It's better in my opinion to go for the feature, but wiring together 4 short stories can be harder than it looks. I like a screenplay that is "tight", as in "it all ties together", so I often pull my hair out when combining two or more storylines.. however some films like "Magnolia" and Short Cuts are glorious messes and they don't care about making all the stories tie together well.

So I guess my advice is.. figure out how they could tie together, but it might be a mess. If it's too much of a mess in your judgement then keep them apart. There are also scripts like Full Metal Jacket which are really two 50-minute films in one package.

Why not do them seperately as vignettes and have a character, idea, or event that connects them all. Four Rooms did it. So did The Twilight Zone and Creepshow. Countless others have as well, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. The seperate stories don't have to be mixed together, they just need one thing that connects them.

Poke

Last edited:
Back