• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

3D animated short - The Alley

This is a very short script I wrote some years ago, basically for a friend, the intention being that we would make a 3D animated short so that he can hone his modeling/animation skills and that I could... well, fiddle with everything else. Long story short, he ditched his CGI career, so this never got done. It is a simple practice piece, and basically a "shooting script" meant just for ourselves, so formatting and terminology are not quite by the spec. After it languishing in my junk pile for many years, I still didn't have heart to just throw it away, so I'm throwing it out here, warts and all, in case someone here needs a short animation script. And, as I still somehow like the scene but don't know how to improve it or where to take it from here, or if it needs to go anywhere, or if it just plain sucks, feedback is also welcome.

The Alley: http://sanoppas.se/shared/thealley.html

For what it's worth, I think it would make a wonderful animated short. You might approach one of the CGI schools close to you. I'm not aware of any particular sites for marketing animated shorts. Inktip does provide an area for freely listing shorts. They may have a section for animation. That would be one way to broadcast this to a larger audience.

Typically animations and filmstrips use a different scripting style. What you wrote works fine.
Good luck!

I actually liked it very much. Don't think it needs anything to be added to it. If you don't have any other intentions with it I would love to make a storyboard for it and then well, lets see how it goes and if it can be made into an animation because I think it would be sad to just trash it, it worth more than that.

For what it's worth, I think it would make a wonderful animated short.

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, I needed both right now :)

I actually liked it very much. Don't think it needs anything to be added to it. If you don't have any other intentions with it I would love to make a storyboard for it and then well, lets see how it goes and if it can be made into an animation because I think it would be sad to just trash it, it worth more than that.

That sounds fantastic, and I definitely want to try to take this one further, so storyboarding would be a great start! I'll drop you a PM re: this :)

Back