• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

35mm Print From Dv/mini-dv

Hi Guys

I found this interesting article about which cameras performed best in blow ups from DV to 35mm film -- it's also got some interesting points about camera settings for best results.

http://jkor.com/peter/swisseffects.html

Of course they are talking about PAL rather than NTSC, which has inherent benefits in terms of image quality.

Just thought you'd find it interesting.

This article is from 1998 and does not discuss any of the 24P cameras now available in MiniDV (Canon XL2 Panasonic DVX100A-B).

While in the past it was 100% true that PAL camcorder converted to film print with increbile results (see Richard Linklater's TAPE or the other InDigEnt feature PIECES OF APRIL, or Bob Odenkirk's MELVIN GOES TO DINNER), the current crop of 35mm film print from miniDV features made from the Panasonic DVX100A look vastly better on a film print projected. See NOVEMBER with Courtney Cox (that won the Best Cinematography at Sundance, and also an InDigEnt feature) as well as Sydney Pollack's DV documentary feature SKETCHES OF FRANK GEHRY, which I've personally seen the 35mm film prints from these and they look waaaayyyyy better than PAL transfers. The new, true PROGESSIVE CCD chips, even on the inferior NTSC format, look better than PAL 50i sources.

But so few filmmakers will ever need a 35mm film print of the DV short or even feature in this day & age. Digital projection is sweeping the multiplexes, even if at least replacing the slideshows whereas a filmmaker can use that to project their film. No it's not better, but it's a lot cheaper than getting a 35mm film print made.

I posted this recently in DVXUSER also.... unrelated to film. But most stuff Im seeing here (Japan) on HDcable is showing up as 525i? PAL? and in widescreen almost half is 1125i? What is this? the other half widescreen is 1080i.... Just not sure how these numbers are worked out. I NEVER see 720.

Japan is NTSC.

Back