35mm adapter?

I've just purchased a Panasonic DVX100, and I'm interested in getting a lens adapter for it, something that would change allow for a depth of field that would be close to 35mm.

Can anyone tell me what I should get, how much I can expect to pay, and where would be a good place to buy one?

I'm also curious as to how well footage shot with the adapter would splice with footage shot without one - would this look strange?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

There are alot of different brands of adapters ranging from thousands of dollars to hundreds. I ran across one I will be buying. It is a Pro Optic 645 70mm adapter. From what I have read the 70mm gives you a little less grain than the 35mm. Also, If you choose to shoot with an adapter for your film, whether you use shallow depth of field on every shot or not, you must have the adapter on during shooting of the entire movie.

70mm sounds interesting, but one of the advantages of the 35mm adaptor is that we can use those old 35mm primes we've got in the closet from our collection of 35mm SLRs. Lenses for 70mm film cameras are not as prevalent.

I've been drooling over the Letus 35mm adaptor for some time. I've got some very high quality Canon primes that I'd love to be able to use, and of course it would be really refreshing to get back to the shallow depth of field I was accustomed to when shooting 35mm film.

Doug

I don't think using an adaptor will give you the effect you're looking for. If I grasp this whole optics thing in the least it seems to me that everything is set according to the size of the filming area(it's the gate and film size on old camera's and the size of the gate/CCD on newer stuff I guess)...so if you slap on an adapter, you'll get to use that 35mm lense, but it won't look the same as it did on a 35mm camera.....be careful not to think you're gonna be shooting 35mm film like shots with you're digital camcorder....it just doesn't work like that I don't think.

Grab up the book 8mm/16mm Movie-Making by Henry Provisor and it has some great explanation of optics when it comes to using lenses across different systems....in fact if I remember my stuff correctly you LOOSE Depth of field as the gate/film/CCD gets smaller and the lense gets longer.

If you want the greatest DOF I know of one sure fire way, and that's using a wide-angle lens, zooming all the way out, and going to hyperfocal distance for focus. I shot an entire movie like this...here's the trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pU7bRbl97YY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pU7bRbl97YY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You'll notice that things kinda bend around the outisde edges, and if you like the effect, then cool.....some do not.

All this said using an adapter to fit longer focal length lenses on a smaller gate size and decreasing the depth of field has some super cool effects to! I'm wanting to use this style for close ups in the future as it really gives the effect that you're spying on someone.....seeing something you shouldn't....being the peeping tom, lol.

Nick, you may not understand how the 35mm adaptor works. It actually projects the image from the 35mm lens onto a 35mm film plane, giving you the same DOF and other characteristics of a 35mm camera, then the camcorder's lens is focused on the 35mm film plane (from the back side) and actually records the 35mm image. So, it does work the way I think it works, and although your are correct about the size of the focal plane/sensor being key to DOF, in this case the size of the focal plane is actually altered.

Doug

Back