• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

31 New Page-to-Screen Adaptations to Add to Your 2022 Reading List

While 2022 kicked off with a whole host of screen adaptations to start the year, the next handful of months holds many more page-to-screen interpretations of the books probably filling up your to-be-read pile.

I share articles like this with any aspiring screenwriter out there... It's just my own opinion but having been in this business for a hell of a lot of years? I see this as the coming trend and the rule rather than the exception i.e., write novels.

Every agency out there today has people scouring Amazon for successful books with a fanbase that can be turned into a movie, limited series, or actual series.

Sales and success are considered to be proof of concept now.

Last edited:
I just binged Anatomy of a Scandal. It was kind of inspiring--that so much time and effort and money and talent can go into something that is just . , , not that good. It gives one hope, lol.

And it is a welcome trend, adapting a novel into a multi-part limited series as opposed to squeezing it into a movie. So many movie adaptations of novels are so disappointing because, I think, it's just not enough time.

I think I can count on one hand the ones I really liked. Off the top of my head: Saughterhouse Five, No Country For Old Men.

I think Kurt Vonnegut said that there were only two novelists who couldn't complain about movie adaptations of their books. Him (he loved Slaughterhouse Five) and Margaret Mitchel, lol .

(do you kids still read Vonnegut? If not . . . you really should :) )

Last edited:
Back