Have you guys seen the website for the movie "300"? Holy crap! It looks fantastic!

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com

It's based on the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC. It's a fantastic story - I'll briefly sum up for those not familiar with it:

Thermopylae is a greek word (Θερμοπύλαι) meaning roughly "hot gateway." It's a pass that connects the greek areas of Thessaly and Locris. To sum up oh so briefly, the Spartans with 300 of their own men led a force of approx 7,000 Soldiers to meet the then invading Persian army of 280,000 men (factual estimate - the Greek historian claims 2 million enemies) in an attempt to buy time for ongoing preparations. They set up defense at Thermopylae, a pass that the Persian army would have to pass through to reach Greece (without going the long way around the mountains) and which was only the width of several chariots (great defensive position).

The greek forces led in front by the Spartans held the pass for a long time. Naturally Xirxes (persian king) wasn't very happy that his massive force couldn't breach the pass (the Persian army was less trained and had lighter armor so they got massacred). Eventually they were betrayed by a fellow Greek who told the Persians about an alternate route around the pass. The Greek forces learned of the treachery with little time to spare. The 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians held the rear guard allowing the Greek force to retreat in an organized fashion. The battle ended with all of the Spartans fighting to the death. The Spartan force held long enough for the Greeks to make preparations that would eventually win them the war.

It's an emotionally intense story and if done right will transfer to film exceptionally well. From the video journals posted it looks like the filmmakers are on the right track. Shooting is nearing completion so real post work should start soon.

Maybe I'm just weird but these are the type of movies that I get excited about =)

Yeah I've been paying attention to this. Honestly, although a lot of purists elitists say the Dawn of the Dead remake is a piece of shit. It really, really isn't. Resident Evil is a piece of shit. When I finally saw the DOTD remake on DVD, was was expecting crap like RE or House of the Dead and ended up thinking it was an extremely well executed film. Above average visual style, confident filmmaking, and some decent character development (in the uncut at least) for a modern day studio horror/action film. Immediately Zack Snyder got onto my 'directors to watch' list. Looks like he is trying to pull a kind of Sin City with 300.

Back