• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

30 degree question

Hi,

Still not a master in editing language :P

To clarify something on the principle of 30 degree angle changes, I often see cuts from a wider shot to a closer shot that don't change the angle, just the frame, and it doesn't look awkward or jumpy.
I see how this relates to the 30 degree 'rule' a cut isn't awkward as long as it's motivated.

But maybe there's another rule of thumb measurement for difference in closeness to subject: iot, what is the minimal necessary change in closeness to subject that doesn't look awkward?

Thanks

It's a really a rule per say, but the "30 degree" concept is taught to film students to understand that editing two shots together, you need a certain amount of differentiation between the shots.

When punching in, it'll depend on the sequence. I'm not aware of any particular rule per say, perhaps the "30% rule" still applies. Myself personally, I find doing this almost always produces an awkward cut... sometimes you're trying to make an awkward cut to garner that feeling from the audience.

Back