• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

3 minute documentary

hey

im not sure if this is where i can post this, but here it goes,

i just made a 3 min documentary, and im wondering if i can get feedback? just uploaded it to channel four site

this is my documentary here:

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/film/film-detail.jsp?id=62565

its probably not that great, im 16, been filmmaking for about a year now,so its probably gonna be a far lower quality than what your used to seeing, first attempt at documentary format.

cheers in advance

You've got some great shots in there. There is an occasional camera movement that is disturbing, like the camera was bumped, or was being hand held. Finally, the first/longest talking head shot probably should have been framed with the speakers head closer to the top (not in the center). If you did that for effect, I may have missed it, but I think moving the camera a little lower and angling it up some would have given a more natural, pleasing head shot.
I liked how it opened and closed with a similar effect. It felt like it ended well, and the opening gives some context. I felt some of the skate boarding shots (especially on the wet, brick side walk) were quite cinematic and well done. Overall, the video was very watchable with a little shakiness at times . The audio was ok, the background music track and ambiance worked well, but sometimes the skater was difficult to understand; a close in shotgun mic could have helped, but that wasn't a big problem.

Doug

thanks very much man, and yea the shakiness part your refering to disturbs me as well,
i go to college (its a pre-univeristy thing over here for anyone aacross the pond who thinks im at proper college) so i work with the equipment i can get, i unluckily got an aweful tripod which basically keeps falling back on me, i wish i covered it up in it with a cutaway tho,

but yea im jus experimenting, and ill keep the shotgun mic in my mind for future projects-

cheers for viewing it and cheers for reply

Don't take my critique as a negative one. I think you achieved a great piece overall. I'm just a bit of a tech-head, and I tend to point out the little things that can be improved. You should just file my comments for future reference. You did a great job on your documentary ... maybe better than I would have done. It's always easy to critique something after it's done. It's much harder to get everything right when you're out there shooting. Believe me, I know!

o no im not taking it as negitive, im happy with comments, and yea easy putting you plans in pre-prod paper, but harder out in the field yea, i went through FOUR interviewees who jus let me down by not showing up.

I like it alot...your widescreen got squished though :( I like the bits about skateboarding transcending the political divisions! I'm a late 80's skater and really related to that interview.

cheers man, good to see the vid relates to some people, seems the whole skate message is relavent to all times, be it 80's 90's or now,
nd yea, too bad it got squished

I liked this a lot. I think you were very wise with the pacing of this. It started with high energy to get people moving into the story. The interview was broken up well with cutaway shots. Most importantly, you realized the extent of the interest in the subject and did not try to push it. I could see someone easily wanting to turn this into a 5, 10 even 15 minute movie. You kept it tight and to the point. And the shots looked good to me and my untrained eye! Well done!

Back