24fps vs 60fps

So I know this heavily discussed but is the only time that you should use 60fps is when you are doing slow motion?

I use 24fps only- I have a gh2 but sometimes when I have shots that move across the room (like in a documentary) sometimes the people come out blurry.. should I have used 60fps instead?
What about when filming bands play?

(I'm in Australia so I'm PAL) I always leave my camera in 25fps and only have it on 50fps when I know or think that I might do a slow motion bit.

If you're still going to be playing i back at 24fps (and not slowing it down) it's pointless IMO. The way to 'fix' your motion blur is to make the shutter speed higher. It should be set at 48 or 50 currently. If you still consider it too blurry (which some consider the 'film look') then try turning the shutter speed up to 100. Changing the frame rate won't make anymore difference than changing the shutter speed so you're better of changing the shutter speed.

Your frame-rate doesn't really have anything to do with motion-blur, other than the fact that if you're shooting at 60FPS, you can't shoot with a shutter speed any slower than 1/60. 1/50 is recommended, but 1/60 is close enough, so you could shoot at that frame-rate and shutter speed, and everything should look basically the same. I suspect your blur is being caused by something else? Motion-blur and blurry aren't really the same thing.

I don't know about the GH2, but on my camera, shooting at 60FPS also means that my max resolution is 720p, so that's definitely a downside.

Unless you're planning on using slo-mo, or even if you're just open to it as a possibility, I can't think of any reason to shoot at the higher frame-rate.

are you sure your editing program doesn't have an automatic "frame blend" setting to the clips?

I thought I had this problem with blurriness once... turns out premiere pro thought I'd like my footage better that way. now i always make sure i uncheck frame blend the moment i put a clip onto my timeline

Back