2 vs 1

I have been thinking about shooting with 2 cameras vs one lately. I have never shot with more than one camera and have considered the purchase of two. In your opinion, what are the greatest advantages to having two cameras in the filmmaking process, and is it worth the cost? How much easier or harder are 2 cameras vs 1?

2 is great for live events or action that you dont want to do more than once. It is a pain to sync and cut for a newb though. Well Me anyway, not terrible but more involved. I like having 2 different ones for different reasons, I photograph as well as video, but both are good for each. If you have everything else covered (audio, nle, comp, etc) get another in your budget. I recomend higher power editing over 2nd cam though.

In your opinion, what are the greatest advantages to having two cameras in the filmmaking process, and is it worth the cost?

" Worth the cost" is gonna be subject to all kinds of variables. Maybe it is. Maybe it ain't.

On the most recent features we've been shoopting, we use two cameras to bang out multiple angles or closeup ranges at once. In theory, it saves a lot of time. You can only light for one camera, though... and if it's necessary to simaltaneously shoot multiple angles to stick to a production schedule, it's good money that says there's no time to light that first camera properly, either.

Why do you want to use two cameras? What benefits do you anticipate? :hmm:

Getting seconds camera doesn't mean your expenses just end there.

Need extra video storage, extra crew member(s), extra food, extra transportation, extra tripod, extra lighting, extra audio problems, extra space....

Do you still want to buy a second camera?? ;)

Got extra money? Spend it on your poor crew. Buy them lunch!

It really depends on the scale of production. Two cameras makes things ultimately more difficult, and certainly takes no less time, as you're now attempting to light for two cameras - you need two operators and two focus pullers at least.

I find that for documentary two cameras makes things much easier (assuming you have a second cameraman) because it gives you more flexibility in the edit. For narrative it generally makes things harder for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. When you're setting up shots (as opposed to filming something as it happens) your goal should be to get each shot set up perfectly - and it's much harder to get a single setup perfect for multiple camera angles at once.

Maybe people get tired of me pulling Charlie Rose out all the time, but here goes again. Quentin Tarantino just brought that up the other day on Charlie Rose, if you want to hear his interesting opinion. The pertinent part starts at about 41:10 and goes to about 42:48.

An hour with Quentin Tarantino about his movie 'Django Unchained' (Friday, December 21, 2012)

Awesome share, richy, thanks. The whole interview was great, but especially the last half. Good info. for indies!

When you're setting up shots (as opposed to filming something as it happens) your goal should be to get each shot set up perfectly - and it's much harder to get a single setup perfect for multiple camera angles at once.

This is why, for narrative, and especially on an indie shoot, one camera is actually probably a better choice

Lots of guys swear by multiple cameras, but that's not the way it was done for most of the history of film making... for a reason.

Crashing two trains into each other, one chance is all you get, makes perfect sense. The rest of the time.. eh.

Back