Want To Know What Is Film Making All About?

As the word itself says, film making is all about the process of making a film from a story that you have, or a story borrowed by somebody else. A film maker is in charge of the screenplay, shooting, editing and distribution and even direction. In film making it involves large amount of employment, it requires many people and, at times, the film takes several years to complete. This depends on the complication of the subject, and the problems that come while making a film.

There are many stages of film making. Some of them are:

1. Development- Firstly the screenplay in done and arranged into a effective guide for the film.

2. Pre-production- Pre-production is to prepare for the shooting of the film, the crew and cast are hired, locations for the film are chosen, and the sets are built.

3. Production- The film maker shoots the film in its whole.

4. Post-production- The film is totally edited, other sound effects, are added to make it even better.

5. Distribution- A distributor takes the film from this stage, and he shows it to the public.

:director:

Development: The film maker's idea, or a story found by the producer, is changed into a practical script. This story can come from any books; it may be a true story, plays, other films, etc. When the theme is chosen, a step outline and summary is developed. This will break the story down into scenes of one section in length. A treatment of 25-30 pages, is then prepared, describing the mood and characters of the story.

The screenplay is then developed; this is edited as many times as needed to make the story feasible. A film maker may want to contact a film distributor at this time to review the market for this type of film to assure its economic success. DVD sales and distribution rights need to be taken into account. The film is then open to film financiers. If they like what they see and hear from the pitch, financial backing is offered. This can be offered from major film studios, the film council, or autonomous investors.

Pre-production: For a film, a production company is created and then an office for the company is opened. The film comes to life with a story board and drawn out with the help of model artists and talented illustrators. The budget of the film will be comprised at this time.

Now the hiring work is done. The budget and type of film will decide the type and size of the crew.

Production: To help manage this stage of film making, the director is in charge of most of what happens on the set, but he will need to delegate blame to others until the film is done.

Post production: The film is edited for time and best shots using film and a combination of film and video. Extra sound effects are added.

Distribution: The film is released to theaters and copied according to need. The promotion begins now. Press kits, posters and other advertising materials are published to advertise the movie. The movie is promoted in all possible ways to make it a big hit.

It doesn’t matter if the movie succeeds or fails, profits are equally divided between the production company, and the distributor.

Filmmaking Is All About

I was impressed with the simplicity of your blog about filmmaking. There are a few pieces of the puzzle that were glossed over - particulary the bit about - if the financiers like it they will offer an amount - (paraphrased). But, your optimism and simplicty was refreshing.
I have just started a blog at http://indifilmmaking.blogspot.com and I'm looking for a "Favorite Link" to film production in India and in Nigeria (I m in Canada). If you have a blog I'd be happy to co-link with you. I have worked on 43 different productions over 21 years but I am only now developing film productions - my specialty is film accounting and related management of the film production - so, the financiers would hire someone like me to oversee their investment in a film.
My web site is http://www.talkfilm.biz.
Best regards,
John Gaskin

Back