Best Short Film Award

• I vote for "Magnamameous Bark & Gigante Chupycabras"

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I vote for "1958"

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea for the next indie-talk competition.

I think everyone that votes should state what film they voted for and why. Only the votes of people saying why they voted for the film they did will be counted, and other votes will be thrown out.

I just think this will help clear up possible cheatings(not that I think Zensteve is cheating....is he?), accidental votes, and most importantly, it would provide good feedback for the films in the competition. It could be view as a judging corner I guess, where the voters get to explain why the picked one film over another.

But I don't know how well this would work, seeing that films before were hardly rated and critiqued.

I can see who voted, and it's been fair so far.

I wasn't going to vote because I really liked both, but since the voting is low, I went ahead and voted. It was an impulse click, as I could have gone either way. You guys made me choose ... I don't like you :(

I voted for 1958 - like I said, they were both winners to me. I thought Zen came up with a good story in a short amount of time, but I thought the voice on the other end of the phone had funny reactions at times. Poke and Goat's was hilarious. I liked when Goat called the guy Frenchy .. classic! And I liked the composition of a lot of the shots, with Goat in the background.

indietalk said:
I can see who voted, and it's been fair so far.

Ok...I wasn't sure if you could tell or not.

indietalk said:
I voted for 1958 - like I said, they were both winners to me. I thought Zen came up with a good story in a short amount of time, but I thought the voice on the other end of the phone had funny reactions at times. Poke and Goat's was hilarious. I liked when Goat called the guy Frenchy .. classic! And I liked the composition of a lot of the shots, with Goat in the background.

But yeah, something as simple as that! That's all I want.

IT has the added bonus of not only being able to see individual names of voters, but also IP addresses. That helps when it's time to look for weasels who have duplicate accounts and try to double-vote.

The polls can be set so that regular members can see who voted what, too. However, people (in general) tend to be more reluctant to vote when they can be identified by their peers.

Setting a specific poll breakdown to public will result in less votes being cast overall; but those voters are also more likely to be the ones that don't mind giving critical feedback in public. Getting feedback is good.

Setting a specific poll breakdown to private will result in more votes being cast overall; it will reflect a larger sample of "popular" opinion... but it's still going to be the same people who are going to give feedback. The apparent ratio of vote-to-feedback will drop.

Clearly, more critical feedback is good. It's a matter of convincing people that they *should* put in their opinions and thoughts on the entries. Actually, I'd like to see more feedback on flicks that hit the Screening Room. Many of those get no love, even with large view-counts.

I'll set up a thread this Friday for brainstorming ideas and suggestions on improving the next competition. I have a few other ideas to toss about.

P.S. Indie... Your vote doesn't count.

Hello Indietalk! Look forward to getting into things here. I have a (relatively) short "mockumentary" I might show sometime.

I like Goat's idea, but Zen has a good point about anonymity and voter turnout. I don't know what we can do. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people some times don't feel the need to give constructive criticism and praise. In all honesty, I'd rather have a vote count of 10 or 20 with the same amount of meaningful comments than visa versa.

Also, being able to see the usernames with the IPs isn't gonna stop the really crafty ones. I know at my job each PC has a different IP and I could theoretically log onto all of them and create new users and add votes (don't think I haven't pondered this being so far behind). I don't know how illegal votes could be stopped. I think an alternative could be to name an official judges panel to actually award the best entry and also give a prize to most popular. But that's for Zen's discussion for the next time.

Dr. Weiner said:
Hello Indietalk! Look forward to getting into things here. I have a (relatively) short "mockumentary" I might show sometime.

Thanks for the vote Weiner!

I've seen Weiner's "mock" and it's very funny. Once we get our site (www.creativenamefilmgroup.com) up and running, we'll be hosting it.

Poke

"Up the Irons!"

Your sig is from "Accident of Birth", Mr Weiner. Arc of Space.
smiley_rock.gif

One of Goat's ideas is starting to grow on me.

Absolutely! Glad to see another Dickinson fan! Arc of Space is an absolute favorite. When my friends and I get together to practice, Arc always gets played when it's acoustic time.
I'm also a big Dickinson/Maiden rarities collector. My MP3 collection and mpg collection is envied by lots of Maiden collectors. If there is something you'd like, just let me know!

As a matter of fact, there is a snippet of us playing Arc in my "mock". :D

I deducted 2 votes from Zensteve.

There was one illegal vote (that happens, the member is sorry) and I deducted mine, so I can stay impartial and monitor the votes. Like I said, my vote could have gone either way, I just voted to spark some voting interest. Both entries are excellent! Anyway this was discussed with both parties involved.

So the race is close :eek:

;)

Thanks for the vote, Mr bensmerglia
smiley_piratriot.gif

Any particular reason why you favoured one over the other? (Trying to ecourage a bit of feedback) :)

zen,the ending of yer film was funny stuff man,pokes was good to the hill billy buy was the best,whs that u goat?

christdrinkspee said:
whs that u goat?

Yeah, that was Goat. Asshole wanted the camera on him the entire short.

So are we just done on the voting here? I'm really dissapointed there wasn't a bigger vote count. I know we have more than 21 active members, why isn't everyone voting?

Poke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back