• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Very simple question...

Simple question for you guys, particularly those of you on the other side of the pond...

Do you know what “cling film” is?

I’m just finishing off the final draft of a script. I’m English, as are my characters. Although I do have them speak using some English slang and colloquialisms, I have been actively trying to ensure that certain things make sense in both British and American English.

The above is one such example (and the only one that I’m still not entirely sure about). I’ve heard Americans refer to what I call “cling film” as “Saran Wrap”, however, I believe that this is actually a brand name. Do you have any other common names for it? “Saran Wrap” may well be completely lost on a British reader. However, “shrink wrap” may be another possibility.

Colloquially, we in the UK tend to refer to sticky tape not as “sticky tape”, but rather as “Sellotape”. This too is a brand name, but, being the most common, it’s the one that stuck (excuse the pun...). It seems as though the same is true for “Saran Wrap” in the USA.

Last edited:
Saran Wrap is what we call it, at all times. Doesn't matter which brand we're actually using. Never heard of "cling film". It's like Band-Aid. Nobody over here ever say's "adhesive bandage".

Without googling it, I have no idea what "sticky tape" is. Maybe that's what we call "Scotch tape"? (which would be another brand reference)

I say just use your local lingo. We can pick up on what you mean, via context.

Yeah, I think you're right Cracker. It's not something I'm too worried about. When I've used it in an action line, I've never considered it a problem. However, as I've now added it to the dialogue of character, I thought it was just worth asking the question.

To us, a "Band-Aid" is a "plaster" - and I have no idea why. There's no major brand of plaster in the UK. "Scotch Tape" and "Sellotape" are interchangeable. I'll always remember a teacher of mine who, when asked for "Sellotape", would insist on calling it "Scotch Tape" (even if the particular roll being used was branded as Sellotape), as if one brand name was better than the other! But everybody I know calls it "Sellotape", regardless of brand.

Simple question for you guys, particularly those of you on the other side of the pond...

Do you know what “cling film” is?

I’m just finishing off the final draft of a script. I’m English, as are my characters. Although I do have them speak using some English slang and colloquialisms, I have been actively trying to ensure that certain things make sense in both British and American English.

The above is one such example (and the only one that I’m still not entirely sure about). I’ve heard Americans refer to what I call “cling film” as “Saran Wrap”, however, I believe that this is actually a brand name. Do you have any other common names for it? “Saran Wrap” may well be completely lost on a British reader. However, “shrink wrap” may be another possibility.

Colloquially, we in the UK tend to refer to sticky tape not as “sticky tape”, but rather as “Sellotape”. This too is a brand name, but, being the most common, it’s the one that stuck (excuse the pun...). It seems as though the same is true for “Saran Wrap” in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_wrap

That's the stuff. Interestingly, this denotes that "Cling Film" is a UK only term. There's no mention of "Saran Wrap" though, presumably because it's the brand name. I'm guessing you call it Saran Wrap too, sfoster? Or do you call it "Plastic Wrap"?

Also interestingly, that page includes (under medical uses) the statement - "Containing external organs of babies with rare medical conditions before surgery". That's the use in my screenplay!

Here in the states we use brand names often; we call clear sticky tape
"scotch tape" and (as you noted) we call plastic wrap "saran wrap". There
are regions where all sodas are called Coke; "What kind of Coke do you
want? Root beer? 7Up? Dr. Pepper?" Say that on the west coast and it
will not make sense. "Jet Ski" is another brand name that most people
use generically. Most people don't even know that "Bubble Wrap" is a
trademarked brand name. "Jacuzzi" is another. People here in the states
will say, "Do you have a kleenex?" Not all small tissues are "Kleenex" brand.
Have you ever talked about a "hobby knife"? Nope, you call it an X-acto
knife. A brand name.

Your British character should use the terms they would use in that region.
An American will say Saran wrap your British character should say cling film.

The one that I find most people don't even consider is Velcro. "Hook-and-loop fastener" doesn't really roll of the tongue.

And "Coke" seems like an odd one. To me, "Coke" is cola. I'll happily call Pepsi branded cola "Coke". If you're in a bar here and you order a "Coke", if they don't sell "Coca-Cola", only "Pepsi", the person serving you will always tell you that "The Coke we serve is Pepsi". I'd never call Lemonade "Coke".

Anyway... I guess the answer I'm looking for is that there is no name for cling film/saran wrap that is commonly used in both the UK and the USA.

Interesting to read this thread :)

Maybe it comes from the Dutch word: pleister?
Or from plastering, since it seems that in older times wounds would be plastered with something to prevent infection?

Looking at the etymology, the medical use of the term predates the building usage. Both senses of the word derive from a Latin word for bandage, and so "plaster" as shorthand for "sticking plaster" makes a lot of sense.

Fascinating things, words :)

Back