Mic?

Hey all,

I'm finally gonna be filming something next week, but I need a mic. I wanna buy one with my next pay, but I have no idea what to get. I have like, 200 hundred bucks and a Panasonic NV-GS25 camera. I'm just gonna be filming dialogue this time, but I suppose it would make sense to get something that's going to be a good all rounder.

Looking at my camera, I realise it doesn't seem to have a port for a mic. How do I record sound then? Oh god this is all so confusing!

Help?

:)

Hey Ang, nice to see you back. Even better to hear that you'll be doing some filming.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't spend any money on audio, yet, cuz you haven't yet got a solid camera to shoot on. That thing is a POS. In addition to the lack of audio input, you also do not have any control over your exposure. That's not gonna work out.

Hypothetically, if you were really intent on this being your camera, you could get a really cheap audio recorder, as well as a really cheap mic, but personally, I think that'd be a waste. I think you'd be better off using that money to either save up for a better camera, or just get a better camera. You can totally find a used miniDV camera on ebay, for less than $200, that will kick that camera's ass.

For the short-term, frankly, I'd recommend just doing your recording in a quiet place. Make sure all appliances are unplugged (even a fridge in another room will kill your audio), make sure your actors project, and just use the in-cam mic. The audio will not be good, but neither will the video, since you won't be able to control exposure. That doesn't mean you can't still get a lot out of this project. Much can be learned, even when your equipment is limited.

Thanks Joe ^_^

I probably should have mentioned that the reason I'm filming is for my niece. She's doing drama at uni and needs to do a show reel, hence why we're doing it next week. I have time AND financial restraints :D

I would like to get a better camera, but the one I have is Scott's old one and my finances are pretty pathetic, even though I'm finally working again.

I guess I'll see how the in cam mic goes for now. I need to get a new computer so I can edit. I'm hoping my parents computer will be able to run a free editing program, just for the purpose of doing my niece's show reel.

I literally have next to no idea what I'm doing. :/

Thanks for helping me out yet again sweetness. <3

Any chance the school has equipment she could access?

For software, Sony Vegas has a free, fully-functional 30-day trial.

By the way, I know I'm a Supergenius and all, but don't be so quick to make up your mind. Someone else might chime-in with a better idea that I didn't think of. :)

In order of preference:

Borrow from the school if they have any gear.

Rent from a local vendor or production company.

Purchase a Tascam PR-10 recorder (US$100) and a Rode VideoMic (US$170), make a DIY boom-pole.

Thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents since I've been in your exact situation with mics.

If at all possible, ANY external audio will probably be better than your onboard, and depending on your budget you should be able to get some sort of shotgun mic.

A shotgun mic I've had a lot of success with was the Audio-Technica ATR6550. It's a pretty good mic, a LOT better than any onboard. You can find it on Amazon for about 50 bucks. It's a decent upgrade if on a small budget.

If your budget is a bit larger, I'd highly suggest the Rode VideoMic. You can find it for about 150 bucks on Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, and a few other places. It's my personal favorite mic, it produces great audio for the price, and it has a built in shockmount. Also, it has a light. That may not seem significant, but when filming with mics like the ATR6550, make sure you monitor your audio if it doesn't have a light. I learned that the hard way when my ATR6550 ran out of battery and we continued to shoot :(

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Back