news Dave Chappelle Called Out HBO for Streaming ‘Chappelle’s Show’ After Rejecting It — Now It’s Being Pulled

HBO and HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys has confirmed with Variety that “Chappelle’s Show” will be removed from HBO Max at the end of the month at the request of series creator and star Dave Chappelle. Per Bloys’ statement: “We had a conversation with Dave. I won’t get into it, but it’s very clear that it’s a very unique and specific and emotional issue he’s got. So at the end of the year, at the end of this year, December 31st, we’re going to honor his request and take the show down.”

The decision to remove “Chappelle’s Show” off HBO Max follows in the footsteps of Netflix pulling the sketch comedy series from its streaming platform at the end of November. Chappelle urged his fans not to stream “Chappelle’s Show” on various platforms because series owner ViacomCBS has not paid him for licensing out the Comedy Central hit. With Netflix no longer streaming “Chappelle’s Show” and HBO Max soon to follow, only the ViacomCBS-owned streamer CBS All Access will feature the program in its library.

Chappelle posted a Instagram video at the time Netflix pulled “Chappelle’s Show” to explain his reasons for requesting companies to remove the series off streaming. The comedian said, “People think I made a lot of money from ‘Chappelle’s Show.’ When I left that show I never got paid. [ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal because I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.”

In the same video, Chappelle reflected on how it was ironic that HBO Max was profiting off “Chappelle’s Show” when so many years ago HBO rejected the comedian’s pitch for the TV series. As Chappelle explained, “They said, literally, ‘What do we need you for?’ That’s what they told me as they kicked me out of the office, ‘What do we need you for?’ And here we are all these years later and they’re streaming the very show I was pitching to them. So I’m asking them, what do you need me for?”

“Chappelle’s Show” will continue to stream on HBO Max through December 31.

Damn this is funny, who knew HBO Exec's had a sense of humor??

This is how I read their statement: "I spoke with Dave and he clearly has emotional problems."

LMAO Sick Burn
FWIW I think Chapelle is a great standup comedian but being an immature and selfish kid right now.

We are in the middle of a pandemic and depression and suicides are at an all time high and his response??
Tell his fans to stop enjoying his show because he's a millionaire but wants even more money.... Really dude..

how about maybe one damn ounce of compassion for your fans that are struggling right now ??? no?? thats too much to ask???
I have a lot more to say about this lol it's probably going to be episode 2 of my youtube show if i started that next year

Last edited:
Nah. It's like that girl that always turned you down going back to high school, now you're famous, and she wants you. He's telling her to fuck off.

Nah. It's like that girl that always turned you down going back to high school, now you're famous, and she wants you. He's telling her to fuck off.

For HBO sure but he said the same thing to netflix and made them pull it down and netflix has been great to him.
Watch his special "Unforgiven" see what im talking about.

I see it like Mara. He's being screwed so he is asking people, hey, whose side do you want to be on? They are choosing his side. HBO could have said FU, Viacom is being paid, you are not, we don't care what kind of deal you made. I think these are good ethical choices by networks/providers, and HBO needed a good ethical choice as of late with all their headlines.

Dave is in a good position to renegotiate his deal with Viacom. "You see all the people pulling my show just because I ask? Now let's renegotiate that deal, and I won't have to ask anymore!"

HBO and HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys has confirmed with Variety that “Chappelle’s Show” will be removed from HBO Max at the end of the month at the request of series creator and star Dave Chappelle. Per Bloys’ statement: “We had a conversation with Dave. I won’t get into it, but it’s very clear that it’s a very unique and specific and emotional issue he’s got. So at the end of the year, at the end of this year, December 31st, we’re going to honor his request and take the show down.”

The decision to remove “Chappelle’s Show” off HBO Max follows in the footsteps of Netflix pulling the sketch comedy series from its streaming platform at the end of November. Chappelle urged his fans not to stream “Chappelle’s Show” on various platforms because series owner ViacomCBS has not paid him for licensing out the Comedy Central hit. With Netflix no longer streaming “Chappelle’s Show” and HBO Max soon to follow, only the ViacomCBS-owned streamer CBS All Access will feature the program in its library.

Chappelle posted a Instagram video at the time Netflix pulled “Chappelle’s Show” to explain his reasons for requesting companies to remove the series off streaming. The comedian said, “People think I made a lot of money from ‘Chappelle’s Show.’ When I left that show I never got paid. [ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal because I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.”

In the same video, Chappelle reflected on how it was ironic that HBO Max was profiting off “Chappelle’s Show” when so many years ago HBO rejected the comedian’s pitch for the TV series. As Chappelle explained, “They said, literally, ‘What do we need you for?’ That’s what they told me as they kicked me out of the office, ‘What do we need you for?’ And here we are all these years later and they’re streaming the very show I was pitching to them. So I’m asking them, what do you need me for?”

“Chappelle’s Show” will continue to stream on HBO Max through December 31.
THATS CALL FUCKING LEVERAGE BABY!!!

Chapelle's Show should be his bread and butter. Like that one hit song that pays you into retirement. Is he making millions elsewhere? Yes. This is about Chapelle's Show, not his worth.

"By posting “Unforgiven,” Chappelle has decided that instead of legal action (at least for now), he will take the matter to his “real boss”—his fans. “I’m begging you,” he pleads. “If you ever liked me. If you ever think there was anything worthwhile about me. I’m begging you. Please don’t watch that show. I’m not asking you to boycott any network. Boycott me! Boycott Chappelle’s Show! Do not watch it unless they pay me.

So rather than fight the contract, Chappelle turns the contract’s “crazy” terminology on itself in a bit that ends in his call for a boycott—a move designed to threaten the value of those streaming rights and drive Viacom to the negotiating table. After all, the relative negotiating power of Dave Chappelle and Viacom is not what it was almost 20 years ago. No longer the “28-year-old expecting father that was broke” and desperately needing “a way out,” today Chappelle is a comedy giant, powerful enough that at his request, Netflix (with whom Chappelle has a deal worth a reported $60 million) pulled Chappelle’s Show from its streaming platform..."

It sounds like Suge Night made this deal and hung him out the window by his feet until he signed. 😆
music video 80s GIF

BS. I could watch it right this second if I wanted to.

BS. I could watch it right this second if I wanted to.
You could. But he pleaded with his fans to not watch it and said if you ever liked him at at all you won't watch it ever again.
So therefore youre not his fan if you do watch it.

In the middle of a pandemic where everyone is depressed and lonely and isolated....

Last edited:
Back