casting

so ive finally after a year am moving towards production on my short...... its been a long road.........
now my question is when casting(i posted an ad on craigslist) how do i do it? i mean i meet them have them read for the part and make my decision there right or should i cast the femal lead first and then the male to make sure they have chemistry??? any help would be appreciated thanks.........

ps im very excited bout this as im finally taking steps towards my dream and have actually started the casting process......

Post a casting on Mandy.com, Facebook, Myspace, Craigslist, your local coffee shop, your local theater...where ever you can.

Give them a contact number or email. Your casting call should have the production, a synopsis, and a breakdown of the characters you're looking to fill. As well as pay and contact info (deferred pay will be what you want to list--meaning, not paying, but food, transportation, a copy of the film, and potential profit if the film makes money...basically no pay with food).

Set aside two days for the auditions. Have people call and set a time in those two days. Have it at a nice location...somewhere people feel comfortable opening up (not a crowded coffee shop), and not your house (especially if it's in a shady neighborhood). You *can* hold it at your house if it's safe and clean.

You can allow people to have the sides (part of script) early if you'd like...to allow them to prepare a little more. Or you can cold read people and give them the sides at the audition (just make sure you give them 10 or 15 mins to read through it first).

Don't worry about 'chemistry' on the first set. Worry about that on the 'call backs'

Film the auditions so you can go back to them after. Make sure the actor's 'slate' before their audition (name, union status, etc).

After your first round...go through headshots and footage of your 'good ones' and decide on call backs from there...

During the call backs, you can have multiple actors come in to read opposite each other for chemistry and such.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back