• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Zombies!- My new short film.

ok so this is my newest short film, and I would like your brutally honest opinion on it, both on technique and if it was just any good period, thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7QZ8r4BC90

Not a bad attempt there are a few problems but that is to be expected. I'll point out what I think went wrong.

1. The blood on her leg isn't realistic. When she first turns over the blood would only be where the puncture was and not already streaking down her leg.

2. The zombie makeup. I am not saying you have to spend a lot of money for prosthetics to make a short. You can make some decent textures and looks with flour and water. Then use a homemade blood made from syrup on it with some store bought makeup like dark eyeliner to give it depth.

3. The zombie growls sounded more like big cat growls to me.

Things I did like:

1. The overall look of the film. It was shot well imo.

2. Pacing was good.

3. The sound of the film overall was good. The audio was understandable unlike a lot of Youtube videos and you captured the leaves crunching very well.

I am indifferent about the coloring of the film. I think it looks okay but I think it could be better as well. The music was a good choice for the film as well.

Hope this helps some.

thanks for your input! and i agree, the makeup seems to be on everyones list including mine, it was a complicated situation which i learned from so it wont be bad next time. and the zombie growls were cat sounds, closest i could find lol

I would agree with what Jsthompson79 commented. I have a suggestion for a website where you can find lots of sound effects that may help you in any future productions:

www.sounddogs.com

There are a selection of sounds you would have to pay for but if you're in a bind they do have a large range of free sound effects to download. If you want those then on the left hand side of the screen under the heading "Downloadable Sound Effects" click on "Sound Effects" and that will open a page that gives you a multitude of categories of sounds to choose from.

Best of luck in your future productions!

Firstly ... Is it Zambies or Zombies?

I pretty much agree with Thompson.

Not badly shot and with some decent editing

Buuuuuut ...

The zombie makeup did need some serious work. The good news is that you know that and you can work on it :yes:

Maybe you could practise the makeup a few times before you start shooting so you get it just right ... and ask peoples opinions if it looks good ... basic audience testing!

Zombie attack scenes - This is where you get your scares. your drama, your action ... So it has to be done as well as you can.

For me, the zombie attack scenes were weak. You had some decent suspense for leading up to and in between the attack scenes but the level kind of just stayed there when the zombies attacked ... I feel it needed to be ramped up!

Get fear, anger and most importantly desperation showing in your actress ... Like she is scared for her life.

And try to make the physical action as realistic as possible as well ... those two guys you used as zombie actors could have taken a good hard shove from your actress yes!?

Oh, and please make her use a bigger stick ... one that would bust a head ... ... the stick she used, and the way she used it, was not realistic for me.

So that's me from the armchair :) ... You are out there making movies! Keep making them!

For me, the zombie attack scenes were weak. You had some decent suspense for leading up to and in between the attack scenes but the level kind of just stayed there when the zombies attacked ... I feel it needed to be ramped up!

Yeah I'd agree with this. The Zombie attacks her and she remains sitting....Leg injury or not I'd be outta there. ALso...She seems to be sat on the floor, holding a short stick...yet seems to hit the zombie in the head with a knockout blow...Didn't feel right to me!!

The "Panda eyes" on the Zombies is too fake, I'm no zombie expert but it looks like makeup rather than rotting flesh (is that what Zombie are made of??)

Sound and Colour is done well though and I thought the editing was very slick.

Yeah I'd agree with this. The Zombie attacks her and she remains sitting....Leg injury or not I'd be outta there. ALso...She seems to be sat on the floor, holding a short stick...yet seems to hit the zombie in the head with a knockout blow...Didn't feel right to me!!

The "Panda eyes" on the Zombies is too fake, I'm no zombie expert but it looks like makeup rather than rotting flesh (is that what Zombie are made of??)

Sound and Colour is done well though and I thought the editing was very slick.

Yeah the zombie makeup was a bust do to the person I had do it, I didn't have time to make her fix it so I just rolled ith it, but next time I'll probably do it myself. And the stick was longer, but it broke when she swung the first time and do to time I just tried to get angles not showing it all the way instead of reshooting parts. And it's call Zambies, but I didn't put that as the title on here, because I didn't want to confuse anyone. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll be sure to remember it next time I go shooting.

Back