Your advice on cameras...

Much of what I read on the net when reviewing entry level pro or prosumer cameras is old.

Right now... as informed individuals, what do you think the best HD camera with the easiest work flow is? I would like the option of 16:9 but not a deal breaker. I would like to find a low hours used with maybe some goodies packaged in. I am thinking I want to use SDHC as long as compression does not hurt quality too much with the model in question. Reason for solid state is our documentary will be filmed during a 2 month overland expedition in very remote areas of the US and Canada. SDHC, I believe, would just be easier to deal with.

I have been eye balling (hard) the HM100U but it is at the very tippy top of my price range and leaves no money for other equipment I could use right now. No guarantees we will be using FCP.

If you have an argument for a certain camera, etc based on experience shooting in the field for extended periods of time self contained within vehicles, let me know. I have an open mind.

Also, we will be using two inboard dash mount rigs to capture driver footage and double as a video journal. These need to be compact, have good image stabilization, and record in a format compatible with our main camera. Much help is need there.

Has anyone experience with good mounting options?

We are shooting with PBS in mind first, media distro second. Internet TV is also a possibility as we have very recently learned.

Pretty much family funded and betting the farm at this point. We are filming an adventure documentary in the style of Stroud's Survivorman and McGregor and Boorman's Long Way 'Round to raise awareness for Adrenoleukodystrophy and early detection/screening. This is a personal project as we just learned our son has the disease that was featured in a 1992 production called Lorenzo's Oil.

Many thanks if you can help...

Last edited:
Back