Young filmmaker

First off, A little about me; I'm interested in filming some short films and documentaries.

Hi! I've been lurking around the forum and have been looking over the different "Help me" threads, But... I still cant see my self running out and buying a camera without at least making a thread my self :) ... sorry.

Any way, I've got a budget of about3 grand and am looking for what y'all (Texas sorry) think is the best bang for its buck. is there a camera that just out shines the rest for low end processional cameras? I have heard something about the "Red (Brand name)" Scarlet camera soon to be released and was wondering if i should just wait for it? Or are these other low end cameras like the Sony HD1000U just fine.

... Ive always assumed cameras large enough to be shoulder mounted were better than the smaller camcorders. Any one have a camera for about 3k they think would work for me?

From my own research im leaning towards a Sony hdr fx-1, what do you think?

Thanks in advance, I really need some help :yes:

Last edited:
Just in case any one was wondering... And i have no idea why someone would lol

I bought the Canon Xh-a1 S. Took me a while, I heard from a couple vendors that the Us military bought the entire months shipment ... or something similar to that. Either way, I Have it!

Thanks to everyone who helped me decide! :yes:

Back