• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

XA-H1 Busted - How to Transfer Footage?

I recently did a 2 day shoot and the Unit Production Manager chose to put the main footage on an XA-H1 Canon HD Camcorder. It records to miniDV cassette tapes and now that camera is busted (the firewire connection is blown.)

I am trying to find a way to transfer the footage to a computer so I can get it to the editors.

I was told by a guy at the video rental company that the recording deck they have won't work because we did the footage at 24 (vs 30.) He said I could rent one of their HD cameras for $150 a day - but I'd need a firewire connection.

I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions, or cheaper alternatives out there?

Anyone got any ideas? I'm in San Diego.

Thanks!

DreamLarge

All you need is another tape-based HD camera, right?

The obvious question is, do you know anyone locally with a tape-based HD camera? There's gotta be a tonne of local filmmakers with a Canon HV40 who could for it for you, for a token amount of bux. (Pretty sure the HV20 & 30 don't have the full 24fps). There's several other similar models, too.

It's been a while since I got rid of my XHA1, but if I remember correctly any of the canon HDV cameras would play back their 24p format, even if they weren't capable of recording it - whereas soy & other brands couldn't even play it.

Back