• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing comedy

I'm working on a romantic comedy screenplay at the moment, and I'm about to do another draft because the comedy feels dry, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on writing comedy?

comedy is probably the hardest thing to write.. I don't have any tips for you, but I wish you luck!

Also, I recommend this book: Writing the Romantic Comedy - Billy Mernit It's a good read, talks a lot about structuring a romantic comedy, and has tips on bringing the characters to life..
Mernit offers five ways to bring your characters to life and seven basic romantic comedy "beats." He has chapters on chemistry, humor, dialogue, and sex

For the record, I love romantic comedy.. as cliche as it may be most of the time, it's still by far my favorite genre. ;)

Most important is to pace your jokes / humor. Lay a little out, then pick up the drama a little, then lay out more of the story, then more humor. It has a real nice rhythm to it when done well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Will...

comedy is probably the hardest thing to write.. I don't have any tips for you, but I wish you luck!

Also, I recommend this book: Writing the Romantic Comedy - Billy Mernit It's a good read, talks a lot about structuring a romantic comedy, and has tips on bringing the characters to life..

For the record, I love romantic comedy.. as cliche as it may be most of the time, it's still by far my favorite genre. ;)

Definitely get the book by Billy Mernit as Will suggests... It's pretty much the de-facto standard when it comes to writing a RomCom.

After that, you're talking STRUCTURE. Hardcore structure.

Find the RomComs that mean the most to you personally and then find the ones that yours is most like and start tearing them apart structurally.

If you do this honestly and are committed, you are going to see some amazing pieces of structure that you can use for your own story.

Good luck with it and GET THAT BOOK.

filmy

If the comedy isn't working, then chances are one of two elements is out in your script:

either the characters aren't vulnerable enough... or the plot isn't exploiting those vulnerabilities to place the protagonists into socially humiliating situations.

Rom Coms protagonists are all about vulnerability... likeable people whose primary character flaws prevent them from solving the main Rom Com question (which is always... will s/he get the girl/boy)

In their attempts to "get the girl" the protagonist has to be made to look foolish... time and time again, in public. Which they shrug off in a good natured way...

The other comic elements in Rom Coms are the "friends of" the quirky supporting characters who offer moral support to the protagonist... whilst at the same time causing additional humiliation.

If you're looking to nail the formula, start reading any script by Richard Curtis you can find... he is the God of Rom Coms. I'd start by reading "Notting Hill" and then "About a Boy" and if you're looking for a complex multi-protagonist script "Love Actually"

One further point... comedy is very black or white... something is either funny or it isn't... so, unless you're laughing when you write the scene... and people are laughing when they read it... it isn't funny.

I did stand-up for years and I've got to say the worst thing in the world is a polite, tight-lipped smile... often the difference between a tight-lipped smile and people losing control of their bladders is the order in which things get said... or, in a script, the order in which things happen.

Last edited:
content, timing and delivery...you only have control over the content while writing the script...so make sure the words or situations come out funny when they need to be and really sensitive when it needs to be...Romantic Comedies that work are an emotional roller coaster.

The Actor, Director and editor are responsible for the other 2 of the 3 legs of good comedy. Yes, Comedy has 3 legs...Spatula, Pink guy, no comments please.

Beautifully said, Guru. Appreciate the time you took to spell all that out. Do you write articles? I'd love to link somthing like this to my how to site.

a

Last edited by a moderator:
Back