• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing a Spec Script with intent to sell

What I wanted to get out of this thread, and for others to get out of it, is information from those who have had success in writing and then selling a spec script regarding the process in detail from A to Z.

What are the steps that are necessary, and what should screenwriters be aware of as well?

What I wanted is the A to Z of selling a spec script

What did your last slave die from?

I don't have experience in selling a script, though I do have experience in buying a script. That being said, I'll give you step 1: Write the killer script.

check out the Guerilla filmmakers handbook 3rd Edition, it has all info from professionals about how they did things how much to expect etc etc its not exact info but gives you a better insight..

In today's marketplace, you should write a spec script because you have a passion for screenwriting and a story that you feel needs to be told. You shouldn't write a spec with the sole intention of selling it as you'll likely be disappointed if it doesn't (and most don't).

While I certainly don't want to discourage you from writing your spec, nor do I want you to think that selling it is impossible. But since the '07/'08 WGA strike and cut backs in development resources, the spec market (in terms of sales) is a shell of what it used to be and spec sales from baby writers is extremely rare.

You are FAR more likely to be able to gain paid writing work by using a great spec as a writing sample, either OWA's or working with an executive or producer (who like the writing in your original spec) to develop a new idea - which then can sell as a "spec" or possibly even as a "pitch".

But, if you're determined to sell a spec and that's the primary reason you're writing it, the steps would be (in an ideal world).

1) Write a spec.
2) Re-write and polish until it's GREAT. Not good. GREAT.
3) Submit to agents/managers if you don't already have one.
4) Sign with a rep (agent/manager).
5) Rep sends out your script wide to industry.
6) Interested parties will make an offer.
7) You and your rep will select the best and sell the screenplay.
8) Start over, back at 1.

There are obviously other steps not included here, and 3/4 is only if you're not repped, but that's the simple progression.

Again, for 99.9% of spec scripts, #6 & 7 never happens and it's back to #1 for another attempt. Most established screenwriters rarely write specs as they are so much work and such long shots to sell (in features - TV is different and spec pilots are fairly common). Most veteran writers get paid to do OWA's and rewrites. If they have an idea, they tend to pitch it and if that is bought, they get paid to write the actual script.

But for newer writers, spec's are great ways to get into the industry and attract the attention of those who can pay you to write. The only thing is, don't write it with the "intent" to sell because you will likely be disappointed as most specs never will. In addition, if you're writing with the "intent" to sell, you may be writing an idea that you think "will" sell and those tend to be derivative of whatever hot trend is going (superheroes, zombies, etc.) and are usually late to the party and/or lack passion of someone who truly has a story to tell rather than merely a story they want to sell.

If you write it as a writing sample and it does beat the odds and sell, then you can celebrate. But if it doesn't, and again - most don't, at least you have a great writing sample to help gain you other paid writing work with.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Shouldn't the first step be research to find out what sort of script is the most likely to sell?

For example if you write a killer western script, too bad westerns aren't really in vogue

Yes and no.

The problem with trying to write with current trends is, they can often be over before you go to market with your own.

That being said, doing a little research isn't a bad idea, but in my opinion, the best writing will come from a story that you truly want to tell, not that is "most likely to sell". If you can find something that is both, then that would be ideal, sure.

And unfortunately Westerns are so very rarely in vogue (unfortunately because I dig them personally). But if you really wanted to write a Western and it was amazing, even if it doesn't sell, you'll get a lot of meetings anyway that could lead to a writing assignment. That's where most screenwriters are likely to get the most traction (and work) anyway. Specs are an incredibly hard sell, even those in more popular genres.

I didn't sell a spec, but I got in the batter's box with some studios and got some reads by some of the biggest in the business. I only got as far as I did by signing with a manager IN LOS ANGELES. I would say that is Step #2. You need somebody other than yourself to believe in your work who is in LA and can have lunch with decision-makers to pitch your work.

Also, the other thing we - my manager and I - did was create some pitch decks for the films, a 10-12 slide powerpoint with an overview of the story, some sample actors who might be good fits for the parts, and budgets of similar films. One we put in a Youtube video and added a few live action scenes with actors between the slides to give the pitch a little life. Remember these guys/gals get pitched probably 10,000 times a year, you really have to set yourself apart.

Back