• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Would you read past this opening?

OK - this is my first stab at trying to write my little story in Screenplay format.

FADE IN:

EXT. MARINA - DAY

Clouds darken the sky. Thick ropes GROAN as they struggle to secure their charges to the docks. All the flags in the marina are erect and at attention, SNAPPING furiously to the rythym of the coming storm. A sail boat's rigging CLANGS spasmodically against some metal part. A women's carnal cry of pleasure is barely heard above the cacaphony.

EXT. MARINA SHOPS - DAY - CONTINUOUS

The boardwalk is empty, seagulls pick at a trash can looking for something to eat. A piece of paper is freed, gets caught in the wind, and flies down the boardwalk towards the shops getting stuck on the leg of HERMAN (23) as he steps out the front door of his shop burdened with packages, files and a heavy set of keys.

Herman looks down and notices the paper.

He lifts his leg and tries to shake it off. The paper doesn't budge.

HERMAN​
(quietly muttering and grumbling to himself)​
This is all I need, stupid seagulls,....stupid paper​

Herman loses patience, puts his keys between his lips and attempts to balance on one leg. He lifts the other leg up, knee first and tries to grab at the paper with his free hand, without bending forward. He loses his balance and starts to fall, dropping everything in the process. The wind picks up and some of the papers from the file folder get loose and start disappearing down the boardwalk.

HERMAN​
(panicking)​
SHIT!​

Herman rushes around trying to grab up the papers. In the meantime, Herman doesn't notice that the other files, left unsecured, start opening up and soon even more papers are flying everywhere.

TESS (O.S.)​
(laughing)​
Here, oh my goodness, let me help you. Woot!​

Herman sees that a young woman has appeared out of nowhere and watches as she rapidly gathers up papers, covers the remaining files with the boxes, and then hollars with glee as she spots a lone paper that seems headed to the docks. He watches with amazement as she makes a flying leap to grab the paper just before it goes over into the water, and then rolls over like a Judo master and jumps to her feet.

TESS​
(triumphantly)​
Gotcha!​

Tess walks back toward Herman, all smiles and freckles and hands him the blue paper that was wrapped around his leg.

The paper reads ".....

Last edited:
Maybe. It's okay right up until Tess shows up. I'd have to see how that plays out, but it's not horrible. I've read worse. Far, far worse.

You might want to not CAPITALIZE so many words when something HAPPENS as it's very distracting to read.

The good: It's very visual. I was able to immediately visualize everything as I read it. A lot of scripts fail this, and it becomes dialog in a white void.

Yes, I would read on, but only to discover what the paper says. Beyond that, probably not. I'm not sure I like the paper blowing in the wind scenario. It does the job, but it seems a bit clichéd, so this would mean I'd probably stop reading. Some scripting advice: Avoid saying how each person says their lines in brackets. Leave that to the director and actors to interpret. If it's not clear how a line should be said then rewrite it. In the case of 'shit!' it's pretty clear he's panicking so there is little need to say so. I agree with escher that you've done a good job of helping me visualise the script, but less would be more. It felt quite laborious to read at some points, because the descriptions were too wordy. Ultimately, whether I'd read on depends on what the paper says. It's gotta be good to get me hooked beyond that. But don't give up on it, just keep writing and rewriting till you get it right.

Last edited:
OK - this is my first stab at trying to write my little story in Screenplay format.

FADE IN:

EXT. MARINA - DAY

Clouds darken the sky. Thick ropes GROAN as they struggle to secure their charges to the docks. All the flags in the marina are erect and at attention, SNAPPING furiously to the rythym of the coming storm. A sail boat's rigging CLANGS spasmodically against some metal part. A women's carnal cry of pleasure is barely heard above the cacaphony.

EXT. MARINA SHOPS - DAY - CONTINUOUS

The boardwalk is empty, seagulls pick at a trash can looking for something to eat. A piece of paper is freed, gets caught in the wind, and flies down the boardwalk towards the shops getting stuck on the leg of HERMAN (23) as he steps out the front door of his shop burdened with packages, files and a heavy set of keys.

Herman looks down and notices the paper.

He lifts his leg and tries to shake it off. The paper doesn't budge.

HERMAN​
(quietly muttering and grumbling to himself)​
This is all I need, stupid seagulls,....stupid paper​

Herman loses patience, puts his keys between his lips and attempts to balance on one leg. He lifts the other leg up, knee first and tries to grab at the paper with his free hand, without bending forward. He loses his balance and starts to fall, dropping everything in the process. The wind picks up and some of the papers from the file folder get loose and start disappearing down the boardwalk.

HERMAN​
(panicking)​
SHIT!​

Herman rushes around trying to grab up the papers. In the meantime, Herman doesn't notice that the other files, left unsecured, start opening up and soon even more papers are flying everywhere.

TESS (O.S.)​
(laughing)​
Here, oh my goodness, let me help you. Woot!​

Herman sees that a young woman has appeared out of nowhere and watches as she rapidly gathers up papers, covers the remaining files with the boxes, and then hollars with glee as she spots a lone paper that seems headed to the docks. He watches with amazement as she makes a flying leap to grab the paper just before it goes over into the water, and then rolls over like a Judo master and jumps to her feet.

TESS​
(triumphantly)​
Gotcha!​

Tess walks back toward Herman, all smiles and freckles and hands him the blue paper that was wrapped around his leg.

The paper reads ".....

You're way to descriptive in the set up. I know what a Marina looks like, it's not a spaceport somewhere. The bad weather is the only relevant thing, so the wind causing a cacaphony of noise is all I need. As it is, your script will be 100 pages but only an hours on camera.

MORE WHITE SPACE!

Each Action, and each time the POV moves needs the respect of it's own sentence.

Herman sees:

a young woman has appeared out of nowhere.

Herman watches:

she rapidly gathers up papers, covers the remaining files with the boxes, and then hollars with glee as she spots etc,

Has it is now, I'd stop reading because it's going to take half the afternoon and it's to hard on my eyes.

Also, you're actors will hate you for the parentheticals.

Action should be written as an Elemental Action if at all possible.

Actors don't like acting directions, yet you must please you're readers. Go figure!

No. sorry..

My attention died at
. A sail boat's rigging CLANGS spasmodically against some metal part.

1. Does this sentence add any value to your story? If not - remove it. Do this for every sentence.

2. Can you combine your sentences into something shorter/snappier?
Clouds darken the sky. Thick ropes GROAN as they struggle to secure their charges to the docks. All the flags in the marina are erect and at attention, SNAPPING furiously to the rythym of the coming storm.
could be turned into
"Dark storm clouds gather above a marina"

It feels like i'm reading a regular book that has been formatted as a screenplay. Too much of direct action :"He lifts the other leg up, knee first and tries to grab at the paper with his free hand, without bending forward." I have no idea what is going on. Write faster. Condense it. I shouldn't go back and reread what you wrote.

Your job as a screewriter to make a quick image in my mind, not to describe what character does limb by limb.

You're doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MghiBW3r65M

We need this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFPg1m_Umg

Don't Bob Ross your screenplay. Be fast.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate your honest feedback.

Good stuff!

Later, I'll take another stab at Page 1 and post it here in this thread. Or if I'm struggling with how to fix something, I'll come back here and ask for more help.

I've been reading The Scriptwriters Bible all day, and my head is spinning.

Scriptwriting is much harder than it looks.

My hat is off to all of you.

Don't stop.

The important thing at this point is to get the story on paper.
Many people bog down on one scene, or the first sentence of dialogue, or even a character's name.
Keep goin to the end without reagard. Then read your story.
THEN write a screenplay that's readable to others.
Perfecting a scene at a time does not work

Don't stop.

The important thing at this point is to get the story on paper.
Many people bog down on one scene, or the first sentence of dialogue, or even a character's name.
Keep goin to the end without reagard. Then read your story.
THEN write a screenplay that's readable to others.
Perfecting a scene at a time does not work

So keep writing in screenplay format, using the basic (minimal) comprehension about formatting that I have - or write it like a novel to get the story out and THEN go back to screenplay format?

AKA adapt my own work?

Or just write script in Jungle Ball format?

A shy young man doomed to change into a merman each night, risks everything to save his similarly afflicted little brother from a terrible fate.
Dramedy?

So keep writing in screenplay format, using the basic (minimal) comprehension about formatting that I have - or write it like a novel to get the story out and THEN go back to screenplay format?

AKA adapt my own work?

It depends.

If you're writing for you to direct/produce then you can write it whatever the H way you want.
But if you're writing a spec script to sell you gotta cut out all the novelly stuff.

What sometimes helps is to start by writing a treatment of your idea. It's basically the script's plot without dialog. At this point, as Geckopelli said, don't labor over one scene. Get the story idea written down. Don't worry about all the detail that creative writing teachers say are needed. That's true for books and short stories, not screenplays. HOWEVER, plot and character development ARE IMPORTANT. While some writers let their stories evolve as they write, my work with students is that new writers are still struggling with their stories. At least in the beginning, planning makes the process easier.

I don't believe in "formula writing". However, in working with others, I have found that outlining action helps guide script development when starting out. Everyone here has different techniques which work for them. Some use index cards, others just start writing. My advice is that film tells a story. So rather than worrying immediately about characters and description, write a one page version of your story. Getting the idea onto paper (or computer) is the first step.

"A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love. He goes to cross the street but the lights are against him. He sees her get on the bus and his heart falls. He grabs a pen and writes the bus number and time of day on this palm. He goes back the next day a half hour early to see if she is there again. She doesn't show. He's disappointed. The bus pulls up and leaves. Just then the girl comes running up and is upset because she was running late. ...."

At this point, I'm not sure how I want it to end. I haven't really thought about the boy or girl. But I've started my story going. At this point, I would break it up into the "6 Act Model". Put a header on six index cards or sheets of paper. What I'm going to talk about can be found at Michael Hauge's site: http://www.screenplaymastery.com/structure.htm

Act 1 - Set Up (introduce the characters and situation)
Act 2 - Introduce a New Situation and a Complication
Act 3 - Formulate a Plan of Action to Succeed (character throws self in headlong)
Act 4 - More Complications and Higher Stakes (usually a major setback)
Act 5 - Final Push to Succeed with it looking unlikely (suspenseful moment, climax)
Act 6 - Resolution and the Ever After

I would go through and put the elements of my story above onto the index cards under the headings

A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love.

Act 2 - Introduce a New Situation and a Complication
He goes to cross the street but the lights are against him. He sees her get on the bus and his heart falls.

Act 3 - Formulate a Plan of Action to Succeed (character throws self in headlong)
He grabs a pen and writes the bus number and time of day on this palm. He goes back the next day a half hour early to see if she is there again.

Act 4 - More Complications and Higher Stakes (usually a major setback)
She doesn't show. He's disappointed. The bus pulls up and leaves.

Act 5 - Final Push to Succeed with it looking unlikely (suspenseful moment, climax)
Just then the girl comes running up and is upset because she was running late.

Act 6 - Resolution and the Ever After
??? Maybe, I'll have him small talk with her. They hit it off and go grab a cup of coffee.

Now I can go back and add details and think about dialogue. The structure of the film is in place. I want it to be a bit more robust so,

A boy sees a girl across the street, and he falls instantly in love.
- The boy is dressed in a giant Hotdog suit advertising for the deli behind him.
- The girl sees the giant hotdog and flashes one of those "you're adorable" smiles.
etc.

A treatment version of this story might be:
"Doug lopes out of Mr. Willard's Hotdog Emporium dressed in a giant hotdog costume. He passes out fliers to pedestrians who sidestep him or stare. As he glances across the street, he sees an attractive girl. She gives a coy smile and turns. He glances about and decides to advertise on the other side of the street. The suit makes it difficult for him to cross with the crowd at the crosswalk. Doug sees her get on the bus. As she sits down, she looks out the window at him. He desperately grabs a pen and writes her bus number down on his palm along with the time.

Doug is in his apartment fussing with his hair. Doug comes back to the bus stop a half an hour earlier and waits for her. He keeps watching the clock impatiently and heaves a sigh as the bus pulls up. The driver asks him if he's getting on. Doug says no and the driver slams the door closed. Doug sinks and starts towards the crosswalk. Suddenly the girl appears running up shouting as the bus pulls off. Doug turns as she screams and scowls. He looks over at her and waves. She sees him and turns. He skulks into the Hotdog Emporium. He's seated at the counter when she enters and asks for a chili supreme. When she turns she heads towards him and sits a short distance away and starts talking on her cellphone. Doug builds up his nerve to approach her. At first she is tentative but when he sits down she is relaxed. Through the window, the two are seen smiling and laughing. Another employee is in the hotdog suit outside of the window."

Now you can go back and translate that into a script by adding scene locations (slug lines), description, dialogue, and actions.

Code:
EXT. BUSY CITY STREET - DAY

The skyline looms as the feet of pedestrians scurry along.

Out steps leotards with basketball sneakers.

A large hotdog steps from the doorway of the "Hotdog Emporium".

From a hole in the center, DOUG's face emerges.  Doug is 18 and
scowls as he drags himself in front of the window and waves a
sign.

As he smiles and tries to hand out fliers, people walk around to
avoid him, break out laughing with their friends or scurry past.

A young kid looks up at him and sticks out his tongue.  

Doug's eyes squint, he wrinkles his face, and sticks his tongue
out.

The mother shoots Doug an indignant look and pulls her son along. 

Doug heaves a sigh and glances over at the bus stop.

AMANDA, an attractive 18 y.o., waits for the bus dressed in an
apron.  She watches for the bus when she notices him.  She
shoots him a smile.

Doug looks at her and smiles.

He glances back then looks over at the empty corner across the
street near the bus shelter.

A beat.  He makes his way towards the crosswalk light but ...

the pedestrians come like a horde as he fights his way there in
the awkward hotdog suit.

Amanda watches him with amusement.  She turns back.

He's standing at the light as she gets on the bus.  He watches as
she moves and sits by the window.

INT.  BUS - DAY

Amanda looks out the window as it drives past.  She sees him on
the corner waving to her.  She moves her hand to lightly touch 
the glass.

etc.
The action statements suggest the kind of shots one might see. The language is mostly active tense. Rather than say "he feels embarrassed", I try to show it via actions and responses. You want the reader/audience to get a sense of the character's personality. Let the actors do their job. The scene and costume description is minimal to what is needed for the story. Let the art director, set designer, and costumer do their jobs. The screenwriter needs to focus on story action and dialogue. So far there is no dialogue. That is the hardest feature of screenwriting. It is so easy to put in more words than needed to effectively convey a scene.

The Scriptwriter's Bible is a useful resource. However, the best way to learn any skill is to read successful scripts (and sometimes less than perfect scripts for comparison) and write. The trinity is Story, Structure, and Format. While structure and story are often intertwined, some stories do not make good movies. And some structures (linear vs. non-linear) work better with some stories. Starting with a structured approach in the beginning is often most instructive. As you become more experienced, you can try new ways.

Since you're adapting your story, try first re-writing it as a treatment, a barebones description of what happens in the story. It's bland by creative writing standards but provides a good starting point for developing actions. Don't worry about dialogue. This isn't a radio drama but a visual drama. Focus on the audience/viewer/reader sees. Once the visual pieces are in place, you can give your character's voices.

And a final word, scripts are blueprints. If sold or optioned, the director and/or actors will probably change what you've written to fit their visions and interpretations. That's just the nature of it. Don't be too wedded to your script. Do your best to present your story in the way that pleases you.

Good luck with your future writing.

AKA adapt my own work?

This is how I plow through quickly:

A man and a women meet in a bar and go home toogether.

INT. BAR

A man and a women meet in a bar and go home toogether.

{Obvious BREAK}

INT. BAR

A man and a women meet in a bar

and go home toogether.

[I asked myself what happens in between? Answer: they talk, he picks her up]

INT. BAR

A man and a women meet in a bar

MAN
Says something cool .

WOMAN
Awesome.

and go home together.

Get my drift?

As soon as I got enough, including all the vital stuff but none of the details, I move on. Come back and fix the dialogue later.

Last edited:
Back