Would a graphics card with dedicated ram solve Vegas lag problems?

Right now I have about 3gb of ram on my computer, and only 256mg of dedicated ram on my graphics card, and this makes for very slow laggy editing on Sony vegas. My computer can only handle 4gb of ram itself, so instead of upgrading my entire system to get higher ram, would buying a graphics card with 2gb of dedicated ram solve this? Or do I need to upgrade my whole system?

It's my understanding that only Vegas 10 uses dedicated GPU memory, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it's only SV10, so if you're using SV9 or 8 or something don't worry about it. But you need a relatively high end card to take advantage of it for Vegas 10 and to use a high end card you'd probably need to get a new system.

Did you ever figure out how to transcode AVCHD files into a more usable format? Also, what kind of processor are you using? You said in an earlier thread that you could watch HD movies fine but editing HD footage is significantly more resource intensive.

Last edited:
I don't know what processor I'm using off the top of my head, I'm not by my computer atm, I'll let you know asap.

I did find a few programs that covert them to mpeg and other file types though, but I'm worried that my computer will continue lagging when I start using After Effects

Yep, while editing, the preview is pretty much unwatchable, I have to basically edit frame by frame. But this program I downloaded called AVS Video Converter works pretty well with converting it into easier to edit files. I record with a Canon HF R10

I'm just hoping that my lag problem won't come back when I start using After Effects and those super HQ effect plugins, you know what I mean?

for a stop gap measure, try rendering your footage to a different file type. MPEG2 HD or whatever and reimport to timeline and see how it plays. and see how it plays. Don't use any DVDA templates though. They don't play well within vegas usually.

I use Vegas and edit AVCHD. I can't speak to a comp with a lot of RAM (I've only got 1.5 gigs on my comp), but I can tell you that native AVCHD has always lagged for me.

Check out Cineform Neoscene to convert it to a better format. I do that and even with my limited RAM there is no lag. Just be sure you've got plenty of storage space, because Neoscene makes the files HUGE.

Back