• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Worryingly Inexpensive CS5 Laptop

The internet has told me that laptops capable of running Premiere Pro CS5 are expensive, starting around $3000.

It's true that it has very specific hardware requirements, including:

• Intel Core 2 Duo or better
  • Approved graphics card (from a very short list)
  • 7200rpm hard drive
  • Minimum 1280 x 900 display monitor
  • Over 4 Gigs of RAM

However, I have found a laptop that fulfills all of these requirements and costs $1300.

My intention is to primarily use applications like Photoshop and After Effects on this computer, and if Premiere is particularly taxing, I will use offline editing.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Yes, you probably are crazy, but that's got nothing to do with this.

However, that processor is pretty slow, comparitively speaking.

Out of curiosity, which part of Washington are you in?

However, that processor is pretty slow, comparitively speaking.

I did notice that, and I just found this funny article that says the processor is a bad value.

Meh...one 7200 rpm hard drive? That's not going to work.

Actually, CamVader, I believe that there are 2 500 gig HDD drives. Unless, of course, I'm misreading the specs.

LOLOLOL.

I'm sorry, but the internet is getting more and more stupid with every second that goes by.
You could get a sick laptop for 12 hundred or less.

Oh yeah? Why don't you prove it! (You can send me the link.)

Anyway, anything I buy will be better than what I have now. I've been using the family's old desktop that can't play back more than 30 seconds of footage at a time. I remember I once had to wait overnight for it to render a 7 minute video.

Cracker Funk, I attend Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, but I'm from Seattle.

The internet has told me that laptops capable of running Premiere Pro CS5 are expensive, starting around $3000.

It's true that it has very specific hardware requirements, including:

• Intel Core 2 Duo or better
  • Approved graphics card (from a very short list)
  • 7200rpm hard drive
  • Minimum 1280 x 900 display monitor
  • Over 4 Gigs of RAM

However, I have found a laptop that fulfills all of these requirements and costs $1300.

My intention is to primarily use applications like Photoshop and After Effects on this computer, and if Premiere is particularly taxing, I will use offline editing.

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Hard drive(s) wasn't pluralized, so that's where the confusion came from on my part .

It looks like it will work, but it's going to be on the slow side, to put it mildly.

I did notice that, and I just found this funny article that says the processor is a bad value.

Actually, CamVader, I believe that there are 2 500 gig HDD drives. Unless, of course, I'm misreading the specs.

Oh yeah? Why don't you prove it! (You can send me the link.)

Anyway, anything I buy will be better than what I have now. I've been using the family's old desktop that can't play back more than 30 seconds of footage at a time. I remember I once had to wait overnight for it to render a 7 minute video.

Cracker Funk, I attend Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, but I'm from Seattle.

There you go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1257894.p?id=1218243761956&skuId=1257894&st=asus%20g73&cp=1&lp=1

But there's a problem--the hard drive rpm is 5400! Also, the video card type is unsupported.

I don't doubt that you can find a cheaper alternative, but man, it is hard to find a computer that meets every single one of the requirements. In fact, I suspect that the laptop I found was specifically built to meet the minimum requirements.

But here's my question. Is it wise to buy a laptop from a random Taiwanese brand like MSI, one that I've never heard of? I mean just look at their Wikipedia. Do you guys think the quality will be diminished?

Cool! I also call Seattle my home of homes. Was there for most of my childhood. Attended UW and Shoreline for a year each, then graduated from CWU.

Let's not discuss sports, though. I'm a Husky fan, through-and-through. :)

Good luck on the purchase. Cheers!

Back