• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Workflow between Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools

I was wondering if anyone out there uses Pro Tools to edit their audio from Final Cut?

I have used Final Cut for awhile, but decided to try and see if I could get more precision audio editing and mixing with Pro Tools.

I have just purchased Pro Tools 9HD and I have and still edit on Final Cut Pro 6

If anyone out there does this - I was mainly wondering about your work flows - just trying to get some ideas and suggestions to start off with:

1) Like do you wait until your are at a fine cut to export your audio and and edit and mix it in Pro Tools - do you wait until you're at your finish cut (picture lock)?

2) Do you just export out individual audio clips to edit and mix or wait until your completely done in final cut and export out the whole audio time line to work on?

3) One more: if you export the audio time line do you export as the individual audio clips seeing as one scene may need different EQ etc to match another scene then combine them in pro tools and do a final mix, or do you just export the whole audio time line as one and do a final audio mix in Pro Tools?

If anyone has any suggestions for me I would really appreciate it,

Thx!!!!!

I have just purchased Pro Tools 9HD

Welcome to the wonderful world of PT. If you've never used it before you're in for some, ah, interesting times. When the hair-pulling starts just remember that the DUC is your friend.

http://duc.avid.com/

1) Like do you wait until your are at a fine cut to export your audio and and edit and mix it in Pro Tools - do you wait until you're at your finish cut (picture lock)?

Your choice. Just remember that re-syncing is an incredible pain in the ass, even with EDLs and software assistance. I charge a lot extra for re-syncs.

2) Do you just export out individual audio clips to edit and mix or wait until your completely done in final cut and export out the whole audio time line to work on?

As a sound editor/designer I ignore everything that has been done to the audio previously, so I just take in a "pure" OMF. As you are working on your own audio and video editing you'll probably want to retain crossfades, and volume and other audio automation.

3) One more: if you export the audio time line do you export as the individual audio clips seeing as one scene may need different EQ etc to match another scene then combine them in pro tools and do a final mix, or do you just export the whole audio time line as one and do a final audio mix in Pro Tools?

PT has far superior audio editing features than FC, so individual audio clips as an OMF is the way to go. I prefer really long handles (10 seconds).

Back