Wireless mic

Can anyone reccomend a wireless Lapel type mic mainly for weddings and other various events? My budget is maximum $1000 but I'd prefer something around $500. It would be a bonus if it was small enough for use in short films as well. Also I'm not using cameras with XLR inputs, however I plan to purchase a Zoom H4n.

The least I would recommend would be the Sennheiser G3 series; about US$650. Most professionals replace the lav with a Tram TR-50, Countryman B6 or B3, or Sanken COS-11.

Just to put things into perspective, many professionals use Lectrosonics wireless systems. The Lectrosonics 100 series starts at $1,200 up to $2,100 per set and the Lectrosonics 400 series starts at $1,900 all the way up to $3,200 per set without lavs.

As always... Why not rent and build the rental costs into your price?

The least I would recommend would be the Sennheiser G3 series; about US$650. Most professionals replace the lav with a Tram TR-50, Countryman B6 or B3, or Sanken COS-11.

Just to put things into perspective, many professionals use Lectrosonics wireless systems. The Lectrosonics 100 series starts at $1,200 up to $2,100 per set and the Lectrosonics 400 series starts at $1,900 all the way up to $3,200 per set without lavs.

Is the Lectrosonics a reccommendation or is that an added thing that I would need?

As always... Why not rent and build the rental costs into your price?

I guess this is an option, I'm just not big on it. I prefer to have gear that I know and can experiment with in my own time as well as the convenience. As a start out this could well be a better idea to also experiment with different mics to get a feel of what I like best

I was giving the Lectrosonics pricing as a point of reference. Most people balk at $650 for the wireless. Seeing that professional gear is two to five times the price seems to ease the pain of a $650 price tag a bit.

As I said, the Sennheier G3 is about $US650. This is entry level professional.

Hmmm prices in Australia seem to vary from $400 to $999 which seems questionable at both ends.

Pay attention, though. $650USD is the base price for a single system with beltpack transmitter and lav mic. The price may go up if you're looking at systems that include the XLR plug-on transmitter as well, or upgraded lavs, or some of the other options they have.

And I'll add a vote for purchasing a better lav separately. The included Sennheiser lavs aren't great. My go-to is the Countryman B3, but I do love the Sanken as well.

The RODE lav is another one to consider, though, as its interchangeable connectors allow you to use it for wireless on one gig, and then hardwired to your camera or recorder at another, without having to own two lavs.

Back