Wireless Mic System, specfic recommendations

I am looking for recommendations on a wireless mic system that I can run into a PMD661. I will be using a TRAM-TR50.

I will be shooting a documentary in NYC, so interference prevention is a priority.

I am assuming I will need a body pack and a receiver.

Budget is around $800.

I took the time to search the fourms, but didn't find the answers I was looking for. So if this is redundant please link the thread.

Thanks,

JPJ

Sennheiser G3

http://www.adorama.com/SEEW122PG3B.html

These right? I was just searching for these earlier today. I started with these because that's what I see on jobs most often. Pretty spendy - $1200 if you want a pair of them.

Alcove, what's your take on the ones that are using the retired TV channel frequencies?

http://www.adorama.com/SOUWPV1U3032.html

Not much cheaper, but a little. They any good?

I imagine the G3 is probably worth the price premium over some of the cheaper Azden kits (the ones under $200)?

Your criteria was "Budget is around $800" which I assumed was per unit. If I have my personal choice it would be the Lectrosonics 400 Series, about $3k per unit not including the mic, so the G3s are comparatively a bargain.

I am not familiar with the Sony units, so I can't comment. The frequencies aren't 100% retired as of yet, so you would probably get some interference in a major metro area. I am familiar with Azden - avoid at all costs.

Your criteria was "Budget is around $800" which I assumed was per unit. If I have my personal choice it would be the Lectrosonics 400 Series, about $3k per unit not including the mic, so the G3s are comparatively a bargain.

I am not familiar with the Sony units, so I can't comment. The frequencies aren't 100% retired as of yet, so you would probably get some interference in a major metro area. I am familiar with Azden - avoid at all costs.

His budget. I was butting in. ;) I just happened to be browsing Adorama to see what the options are (making searching for used easier). Popped over here for an opinion and there was already a thread. Convenient that. :D

I had a feeling interference might be a problem on TV frequencies. Some places are talking about using them for municipal wi-fi, or were talking about it. I hadn't heard much in quite a while - so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the tip on Azden.

Even the Lectrosonics UCR 100 with a LMa hybrid transmitter (which can be used with the 400 series receiver down the road) can be had for $1100 (US) at B&H.

Just about everybody in news uses Lectrosonics because they are dependable against interference. When a news event happens, there can be 3,4, or 8 other news crews there not only with wireless mics, but IFB's too.

With the 400 series, you can find clean frequencies FAST. The UCR 100/LMa combo will also get the job done, especially if there is someone there with a 400 who can tell you where to hunt.

I'm using the Sennheiser G3s (against my will ;) ) at the end of this month and will report back after that as to whether they're good enough for the average man. I suspect they're fine, but compared to the Lectrosonics units they're suspiciously cheap...

I think it's Lectrosonic that makes the units that can plug into a port on the back of HDX and Varicam bodies from Panasonic.

I worked a show last Dec where the sound guy used those on the 3 cameras. Made them noticeably easier to rig and somewhat lighter.

Those are sweet, but definitely not something the average person needs. I consider that territory for production mixers or big boy ENG crews.

Back