Windows Movie Maker vs. Adobe Premier

Windows Movie Maker has this neat feature, where you can quickly create clips from the main video file...which IS GREAT.

It can also allow you to add sound files, simple transitions and even ending credits.

My biggest thing about all of this is that it runs smooth most of the time.

I also have Adobe Premier, which I understand fairly well. But you cant really create clips as far as I know, which makes the editing process tedious if you are trying to puzzle together your final cut. It is awesome as far as adding effects and sounds....

I suppose I'm looking for the full package:

1) Option to Chop the main video file(s) down in order to create separate clips

2) Ability to play with special effects

Etc.

Is there a program like this? Or do I just have to stick with using both programs.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop right now...Cant tell you specs off the top of my head, but it's a great laptop...not built for high video editing and graphics though.

I would just spend more time reading/learning on Premiere. It's limitations are, well, limited. Movie Maker is nice because it's free but it's not even close to being on the same level as a professional NLE like Premiere. Period. I'm sure if you do some more research you'll find that Premiere is capable of whatever you're trying to do in Movie Maker.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. Do you mean, for example, you have footage that is 60 seconds long and you wish to create a new clip using 10 seconds of it? If so, you just have to pre-render the clip...

However, I don't see how that would help in making it easier to choose your clips for editing. In fact, I can see how it would impede your ability to make any changes to the cut if you've eliminated parts of the footage you shot...

But that's just me...

I would just spend more time reading/learning on Premiere. It's limitations are, well, limited. Movie Maker is nice because it's free but it's not even close to being on the same level as a professional NLE like Premiere. Period. I'm sure if you do some more research you'll find that Premiere is capable of whatever you're trying to do in Movie Maker.

Yes no doubt about it, Premier/After Effects is the muscle. I will look for some books to help me with them.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. Do you mean, for example, you have footage that is 60 seconds long and you wish to create a new clip using 10 seconds of it? If so, you just have to pre-render the clip...

However, I don't see how that would help in making it easier to choose your clips for editing. In fact, I can see how it would impede your ability to make any changes to the cut if you've eliminated parts of the footage you shot...

But that's just me...

No eliminated footage, just divided.

Ahh, books shmooks! I would just start tooling around with it. Watch some youtube tutorials. There might even be some tutorials on the adobe website (maybe).

Dready is right, though. Anything movie maker can do (which isn't much), Premiere can do better. And then there's about a million other things it can do.

If you want to play with special effects, a lot of people are getting great results with After Effects, and it's like a burger to a bun, with Premiere.

To answer your question about creating shorter clips, the most common way to do this in Premiere is by setting in/out points, in the preview window, before dragging/dropping into the timeline. Once in the timeline, you can also use the razor tool to chop 'em up.

If you just want to be a casual editor, then I guess Movie Maker is fine. But if you really want to edit, you should just delete Movie Maker from you computer and dive head-first into Premiere. I can't imagine editing with only one track. Actually, I don't have to imagine, because I was once forced to edit with a program that didn't allow multiple tracks. It was a nightmare. Even just for normal editing, I pretty much CONSTANTLY use two tracks, and it's not unusual for me to go higher than that.

There will come a time when you will outgrow Movie Maker. Actually, it sounds like that time is right now. You will never outgrow Premiere.

Back