Will my PC be able to edit 4k?

A few months ago I trashed my 5 year old PC. It was old and rusty and could barely edit full HD.

Then a few months ago I bought a pc intended to continually edit full HD. It has these specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
GRAPHIC CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
STORAGE: 910 GB

Idk how to find out what motherboard I have.

Anyways, recently I acquired myself a Sony A7S II, which records 4k. I haven't edited 4K before, but I do know it requires one heck of a PC. I'm asking for some guidance here. I'm not a pro filmmaker that gets to edit every day. I work on small business projects and edit every second week or so.

I'm aware that my pc specs aren't optimal at all for 4K editing, but will it work in the long term as a minimum? Or should I invest in a new graphic card or something?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's fine, but you're going to edit 4k material natively, you're going to wish you didn't. That's a whole bunch of missed frames.... It'll be jerky at best.

It also depends on what software you're using. Each has its own quirks to what hardware it prefers.

Generally speaking it's CPU < RAM < HDD < Video Card.

If I were you, first I'd develop a transcode workflow that works best for what you need, what you're doing and who you're working with. Second, unless you really need 4k, I'd shoot in 1080p if I were you.

Thanks for the answers.

I have a budget of $1500 to invest on my pc. Considering my current hardware, do you think it would be most profitable for me to buy hardware for $1500 and install that onto my current pc, or buy a new pc for $1800 (assuming I can sell my current one for about $300).

First of all you need to consider which graphics card you are going to buy

In most cases, this is flat out wrong. In this case (a7s mk2), since h264 is a cpu bound codec, you're enticing the OP to spend money where it'd be better invested elsewhere. I'm currently editing material from this camera on a computer with a fraction of the power of the OPs current machine. If I revised my workflow, I could pull the video card from my machine and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Apart from the blank screen problem and slightly slower renders ;)

So much advice relies upon what editing system and workflow the OP is using. Until s/he includes this information, no more practical advice can be offered.

A few months ago I trashed my 5 year old PC. It was old and rusty and could barely edit full HD.

Then a few months ago I bought a pc intended to continually edit full HD. It has these specs:

Anyways, recently I acquired myself a Sony A7S II, which records 4k.

I'm aware that my pc specs aren't optimal at all for 4K editing, but will it work in the long term as a minimum?

You've got the PC and the camera. You can just test to see and look what problems you run into with some test footage.
It makes it much easier for the rest of IT to offer advice. :)

Back