favorite Why is your favorite movie your favorite movie?

Hey, so I've got a little downtime to BS today. I'm thinking about these threads people have started, like "What music do you listen to" and "Post a picture of yourself". In between the serious indie filmmaking talk, I think these personal threads are kinda fun. And so, I thought I'd start one myself.

Except, I'm gonna ask you to divulge something a little more deep. We don't need or want to know your deepest life secrets. But a small amount of context might help everyone understand who it is that they are exchanging filmmaking ideas with.

So, my question is this -- What is it about YOU that makes you love your favorite movie? Don't tell us about the movie. Tell us just a little something about yourself, and how it fits that your favorite movie is your favorite movie. Nothing too revealing, just a hint or a taste of who you are. In fairness, I'll start.

You all know my favorite movie. Yeah, it's got some pretty sweet action sequences. The music is terrific, and the adventure is grand. But that's not why I love it.

It's worth mentioning that I have a very large tattoo. Just one. It's a tattoo of the Phoenix, rising from the proverbial ashes. You can safely assume that this tattoo has great personal meaning to me.

The first image we see in "Avatar" is Jake Sully waking up. The last image we see, in "Avatar" is
Jake Sully waking up. Except, the second time around, he has quite literally been reborn; a new person.
Yeah, I like that.

So, what's your story? Why does your favorite movie REALLY connect with you?

It's really tough to choose what my favorite movie is but one movie I would say is up there near the top is Braveheart.

I've got some Scottish heritage in me and I love the story of revenge and all out concentration on getting a task done. Fighting for something you believe in against insurmountable odds - something I can definitely relate to. Doing what's right when it's the unpopular thing to do.

It's the same with Gladiator.

"Man on Wire"

For me, it's the single most inspirational act I've ever seen from one person. No malice, no repetitive agenda, but to walk a wire. Free.

Seeing somebody do that, reminds me that I'm not "bound"--for those who don't know, I've suffered with anxiety, agoraphobia. I crashed and burned.

So, like i said, every time i step-out on set, and I'm stomaching the sickness, the urge to leave, to drop everything-- I walk out on the wire.

Synecdoche, New York

I watched it at a time in my life where I was 100% vulnerable to this movie. Moreso than the quality of the movie (which is incredibly high) it's the emotional and intellectual connections I made with the story and concepts that makes it my favorite.

Gotta be E.T.

I think it's one of the finest examples of audio-visual harmony ever created. The score does so much to enhance and reinforce the narrative, it just kills me. Can't watch that film without feeling like I've been on a huge emotional rollercoaster.

If you get a chance to listen to the music on its own, do it, it really is something quite special.

The Good, The bad and The Ugly

1) Endlessly quotable.
2) Gets better w/ each viewing.
3) High body county
4) Great music
5) Excellent cinematography

Blade Runner

* The cinematography is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. The camera work, the shot composition, the lighting, the color...all magnificent.

* The casting and acting are superb. All of the characters, even down to Leon rock.

* The writing is superb, and is based on a fantastic story by Dick. It's quite different from the book, but the tone and concept are both there, and it's very compelling.

* The music is by Vangellis, who lays a blanket of atmosphere over the whole film. His score pulls you in and hits all the sweet spots perfectly. Haunting. Exciting. It's all there.

It's just so damn good. :)

The Big Lebowski.
Cuz it's awesome. A friend of mine is Stoney in it "Mark an 8, dude." and the whole movie cracks me up.

So, my question is this -- What is it about YOU that makes you love your favorite movie? Don't tell us about the movie. Tell us just a little something about yourself, and how it fits that your favorite movie is your favorite movie.

Well, I cannot pick just one movie, but I can pick one character, albeit one which originated with the stage, which has always resonated with me, Tillie from "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds'. I think her monologue best illustrates my Wonder with it all.:)

He told me to look at my hand, for a part of it came from a star that exploded too long ago to imagine. This part of me was formed from a tongue of fire that screamed through the heavens until there was our sun. and this part of me–this tiny part of me — was on the Sun when it itself exploded and whirled in a great storm until the planets came to be.

And this small part of me was then a whisper of the earth. When there was life, perhaps this part of me got lost in a fern that was crushed and covered until it was coal. And then it was a diamond millions of years later — it must have been a diamond as beautiful as the star from which it had first come.

Or perhaps this part of me became lost in a terrible beast, or became part of a huge bird that flew above the primeval swamps.

And he said this thing was so small — this part of me was so small it couldn’t be seen–but it was there from the beginning of the world.

And he called this bit of me an atom. And when he wrote the word, I fell in love with it.

Atom.

Atom.

What a beautiful word.

Awww, c'mon, ROC! I've already professed my hetero-man-crush for you. What more do you want?

"Gladiator" is in my top-ten favorites of all time. I love The Spaniard's single-mindedness. When life couldn't get any worse, he had one impossible goal, and he did what he needed to do. That's badass!

"Dust to Glory" it is a Doc about the Baja 1000 off-road race. It was shot by Dana Brown, son of "Endless Summers" Dana Brown. I get a chill every time I watch it. It makes my want to go out and run or ride for hours. I sort of know what kind of a mindset it takes to do that sort of a race. And it gets pretty dusty in the room every time at the end.
On top of that it is a Technical masterpiece of documentary film making. If I can get a film 10% that good I will be happy.

I'm a big fan of the most random movies...

I'm all about disturbia with shia labeouf. When the studio's decided to sit down and blend a fun teen comedy with an intense hitchcock thriller; I was sold.

I also dig The Beach with Leonardo Di Caprio. The soundtrack is so dream like and the story is just sick. Random dude meets a hott euro girl and go out to search for a fantasy island that is said to have an infinite ammount of marijuana.... sounds sick right?

The Puffy Chair and Quiet City. These two films inspired me to actually make movies. They were so simple and they spoke to me because it showed that anyone could make movies.

Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Arc is pretty awsome. Maybe that would be it. Then again Fight Club is one of my favorites and I watch it more often. I really love Lucky Chuck that Dane Cook movie. But not really sure what my favorite movie is I like tons. Just depends on the day what my favorite is.

Back