• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Why is my sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvjMp0_cDw&feature=youtu.be

Keep in mind this hasn't been mixed yet, I just synced the sound to the visuals in premiere and tried to do a little bit of tidying up by upping the volume and trying to make the sound cuts not as obvious with a crossfade. Although there isn't any atmos track yet layed under(obviously) and some shots have no sound atm.

To me the dialogue kinda sounds a little bit....it's hard to describe but kind of 'tinny' maybe even a little bit of reverb?? Like the mic is in a tin can or something like that....doesn't sound very rich. There's also the close up of the red head where it sounds like there's a massive gust of wind coming by, except it's throughout the whole clip!

It was recorded with a zoom h4n(24 bit, 96khz setting), Rode NTG-1 with Rode Blimp+windshield, and it was boomed quite close above the actors head.

Is it because it was recorded too low and I had to increase the volume? Mic placement not quite right? Crappy h4n preamp? Blimp causing the tin sound? Ntg 1 not good enough? Not enough phantom power? Batteries running out?

Sounds like it just needs a bit of EQing

EDIT: To be clear, I only listened with laptop built in speakers at a medium volume, so it didn't sound overly offensive to my ears, but I wasn't really listening critically either. :P

Last edited:
Maybe a little thin, but not too bad. It sounds like the mic was aimed at their mouths, not at the notch at the base of the throat (which would give more chest resonance).

You can somewhat reduce the wind with a hi-pass EQ. Or you can use the audio from a take that doesn't have any (or as much) wind.

I'll give it a "B". (That's an indie grade; if it were a professional gig I would give it a "D+"/"C-".)

To me the dialogue kinda sounds a little bit....it's hard to describe but kind of 'tinny' maybe even a little bit of reverb??

The term "tinny" in audio usually means; too much high-mid (or conversely, not enough/no low-mid) frequency content. So, I wouldn't say the dialogue sounds "tinny", in fact there's no single adjective I can think of because every different clip has different issues. Furthermore, because each shot/clip sounds different, placing them next to each other creates contrast which highlights the differences. Individually each of the shots are not too bad or rather, they could be usable with the right combination of editing and mix processing, namely; cross-fading with room tone, noise reduction, EQ (as mentioned), reverb and probably some masking with atmos.

It was recorded with a zoom h4n(24 bit, 96khz setting), Rode NTG-1 with Rode Blimp+windshield ..

Why 96kHz?

Is it because it was recorded too low and I had to increase the volume? Mic placement not quite right? Crappy h4n preamp? Blimp causing the tin sound? Ntg 1 not good enough? Not enough phantom power? Batteries running out?

There are always faults with production dialogue and differences between one take and another. The reason the differences are so significant in your sequence is almost certainly due to operator error/inexperience rather than equipment error.

G

Back