Who uses storyboard?

Hello there,
So this is the question, who uses storyboards? It kind of a poll i'm taking, i am a storyboard artist myself and i came to this site thinking i was just going to use it to find some work , but i love this community!!

So i want to hear from everybody that has any experience with using storyboards before shoots and if u can, tell me how u hooked up with the artist that did them or if u just did em yourself that would be bonus!!

Thx all,
Chris :D

http://vaksart.deviantart.com/gallery/#Storyboards

Last edited:
Is it ok to take photographs with the help of stand ins and use them as a reference in lieu of storyboards? I think it will give the DoP a better idea of what to shoot and how to shoot.

Moleskine Storyboard Notebook

I use the Moleskine "storyboard" notebooks. Not cheap, but great for getting a shot idea and notes down. I'm visual but not a sketch artist-- 2 weeks or more later I won't get frustrated with "what was that idea??" 'Cuz it's right there in the notebook. At Borders, Barnes and Noble.

Beyond that, for my short I went from my bad sketches to a shot list. Only I saw the storyboards.

I know a guy who had an artist do very detailed storyboards from the script, and it not only took forever, he refused to shoot without them. Consequently, that helped eat away precious pre-production time and he was screwed, never turned the camera on.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those weird pencils (and s'ware) that will let you draw a sketch onto a computer's touch pad. Anybody tried those?...

I love storyboards and do them myself. I see this as the process when the movie
is getting made. So I recognize what directorik says, the storyboarder can limit the
director if he isn't on the same level.

By me the storyboard is also very important in the post production. When look
through the raw material I make notes of the takes on the storyboard. I also
add a + when the shot is usable. And if the take is very good I add ++. Then
when I later capture it to the computer I know how to find the take I want to
use. Sometimes there is a reason to look up the second choice take later and
then the pluses beside the drawn picture is easy to find.

Back