• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Who to hire to design end credits/title

My short is almost finished, but now I need the end credits. I had planned to make them myself by using youtube tutorials in Premiere, but my day job and other life commitments haven't really left me a lot of time in the last 6 weeks.

So I'm looking to hire someone, but I'm unsure whether I should hire an editor (as I'm sure many editors are capable of making some decent credits), or a graphic designer?

Also, how much should this kind of thing cost?

I generally do all of my titles in Adobe Illustrator, making the artboard the size of my composition (ex: 1920x1080px). This gives a lot more accuracy with kerning, tracking, alignment and font manipulation. I am for hire, if needed! Here's one of my short films for an example

Last edited:
My short is almost finished, but now I need the end credits. I had planned to make them myself by using youtube tutorials in Premiere, but my day job and other life commitments haven't really left me a lot of time in the last 6 weeks.

So I'm looking to hire someone, but I'm unsure whether I should hire an editor (as I'm sure many editors are capable of making some decent credits), or a graphic designer?

Also, how much should this kind of thing cost?

That probably depends on whether you want a graphically whimsical or artistic end credit sequence, or something far more black and white and conventional.

What sort of idea did you have for the end credits?

That probably depends on whether you want a graphically whimsical or artistic end credit sequence, or something far more black and white and conventional.

Yep.

To pile on you can knock out the run-o-the-mill scrolling credits that you see in a great deal of films (and often to a far better degree if you do things like pick legible geometric sans-serif fonts) in about an hour from right within the Premiere titler.

When I do more stylized or complicated things (especially fonts that require a great deal of hand-cranked kerning or design) I build in photoshop and then key frame the PSDs (or exported PNGs) in a separate sequence back in Premiere.

What sort of idea did you have for the end credits?

I more interested in latter. The film is of a more realist / stylistically minimalist tone, so I don't think an elaborate credit sequence would be appropriate.

I more interested in latter. The film is of a more realist / stylistically minimalist tone, so I don't think an elaborate credit sequence would be appropriate.

Then you really don't need to hire anyone for that. Putting together your own credits is one of the easiest things to do in Premiere.

The styles and fonts that it gives you in the text editor at the bottom are just presets, but you can download and add any Free or Attribution 3.0 fonts that you want to your computer, and Premiere will be able to utilize them with the font drop down menu at the top of the editor.

Scrolling text is also relatively easy to achieve, though I forget exactly where the options are for it.

Here is just one of many out there, click around a bit: https://youtu.be/AYKBEK9luY0

Remember font choice and scroll speed are an entirely different matter and need to be considered carefully. I wouldn't use any of the tutorials as advice on those aspects, strictly on the how to.

Here is just one of many out there, click around a bit: https://youtu.be/AYKBEK9luY0

Remember font choice and scroll speed are an entirely different matter and need to be considered carefully. I wouldn't use any of the tutorials as advice on those aspects, strictly on the how to.

I think one of my film professors at SCAD explained that scrolling credits in a film can't go any faster than 8 seconds per line on screen. Meaning that any line of text in the credits can't go from the bottom of the screen to the top any faster than within 8 seconds, or something around there. Because at that speed, most people can still read a credit line all the way through without missing something. Although no one really expects you to fully read all of the credits in a film, and opening credits often go much faster than 8 seconds. But those are usually flash-card credits rather than scrolling, so they sit in one place rather than move; changing the dynamic of it.

Basically, don't have things scroll too fast: find a good point where it's sort of jogging up the screen rather than running, let's say.

But if you want it to go slower and just walk up the screen, or even "crawl," that's cool too: especially if you don't have too many credits anyway.

Back