Who knows Sound?: Audio Technica AT831b lavs + Fostex FR- 2LE

Anyone ever try the Audio Technica AT831b lav mic set. In the youtube examples, voices sounded electrical, not natural. But I'm going to test them connected by XLR cables to my Fostex FR-2LE audio field recorder. Would the connection to the field recorder make a difference in the quality of sound?

The mics retail for $297 each. They're on craigslist for sale at $100 each. Anyone know of good lav mics (natural sound) at a comparable price? I also know that I won't be able to balance sound on my fostex (could do it in post), so I might also get the Shure FP2 field mixer - allows 4 channels as opposed to the Fostex 2 channel.

Anyone familiar with the Shure FP2 field mixer? These are the specs I got off the craigslist ad for the lav mics, just in case it makes sense to anyone (feel free to skip over it).

Five (5) Audio Technica AT831b Microphones - Excellent Condition - Complete in cases - ***$100.00 each*** (Suggested retail - $279.00 ea.)

An integral 80 Hz high-pass filter provides easy switching from a flat frequency response to a low-end roll-off. It operates on battery or phantom power.

Clip-on lavalier mic also excels in acoustic guitar applications
Provides crisp, full-sounding voice and instrument pickup
Operates on battery or phantom power
6' (1.8 m) cable permanently attached to mic, TA3F connector at power module

SPECIFICATIONS
ELEMENT Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
POLAR PATTERN Cardioid
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40-18,000 Hz
LOW FREQUENCY ROLL-OFF 80 Hz, 18 dB/octave
OPEN CIRCUIT SENSITIVITY Phantom: -44 dB (6.3 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
Battery: -46 dB (5.0 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
IMPEDANCE Phantom: 200 ohms
Battery: 270 ohms
MAXIMUM INPUT SOUND LEVEL Phantom: 135 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
Battery: 121 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
DYNAMIC RANGE (typical) Phantom: 106 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
Battery: 92 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO 65 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS 11-52V DC, 2 mA typical
BATTERY TYPE 1.5V AA/UM3
BATTERY CURRENT / LIFE 0.4 mA / 1200 hours typical (alkaline)
SWITCH Off, on-flat, on-roll-off
WEIGHT (MICROPHONE) 0.1 oz (2.8 g)
WEIGHT (POWER MODULE) 4.9 oz (139 g)
DIMENSIONS (MICROPHONE) 0.98" (25.0 mm) long,
0.40" (10.2 mm) diameter
DIMENSIONS (POWER MODULE) 3.31" (84.0 mm) H x
2.48" (63.0 mm) W x
0.87" (22.0 mm) D
OUTPUT CONNECTOR (POWER MODULE) Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
CABLE 6' (1.8 m) long (permanently attached to microphone), 0.10" (2.6 mm) diameter, 2-conductor, shielded cable with TA3F-type connector

Last edited:
The AT831b is mostly used with acoustic guitars rather than as a voice mic (as was mentioned in the ad). BTW, make sure that they come with the power module!

The Shure FP-22 (which is the one I'm sure that you mean) is really old school. Although a very nice mixer it is a relatively noisy one in the digital age. In other words, they didn't notice it when using it with an analog tape Nagra, but these days you will here the noise when using a quality digital audio recorder.

A far as "good lav mics (natural sound) at a comparable price" you get what you pay for. The more money you spend the better - more natural - sound you are going to get. The Countryman B6 ($280 to $320) is a perennial favorite; it sounds great and is very, very tiny (0.1"). The Countryman B3 ($170 to $210) are larger (0.2"). The Sanken COS-11 are also a standard and, although a slight bit larger than the CountryMan B6, sound fantastic and are built to take anything. Everyone is hot on the Rode Lav - yup, that what it's called - as a "split the difference mic" as it does all things relatively well, can take a beating, sounds good and at $275 is priced competitively.

The CountryMan EMW lavs are okay at around $150, as are the Audio-Technica AT899C lavs. Once you start going cheaper the sound gets markedly less natural.

One more word about lavs - placement is key! If you are doing interviews it's not terribly hard, but once you start hiding lavs for narrative work it takes some planning and hard work. Oh, don't forget about reliable wireless systems if you're doing narrative work.

Wow. THANKS for all the info Alcove! I already have an audio technica cardioid shotgun mic, but it seems to pick up to much echo/and or ambient sound at times. It was the Shure FP42 - it's old school as well. I'm doing my first original short in a couple of weeks - so this is all for narrarive work. I'm probably going to get mics that can be xlr connected as well as wireless (if they have mics like that) because I only have $ to get mics. I'll connect the mics to my field recorder. Then I'll get the matching wireless system later. My scenes aren't difficult to hide the cables. Speaking about placement, which lav mic is best to capture the natural sound of the actor's voice that it's on - cardioid, omnidirectional, unidirectional etc? And where's a good place to get good deals on these mics? Guitar Center and sweetwater, I'm familiar with. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You didn't mention which mic you have, but the "echo/and or ambient sound" comes from poor boom/mic technique and lack of set prep. Get the mic is as close as you can (18" or less), keep it in front of the talent, and keep it pointed at the sternum. I know that 18" is not practical for some shots, but that is the ideal you should be shooting for. You should also be prepping the set to reduce ambient room echo; mics hear differently than our ears do which greatly increases the reverberation. You may want to read the following:

http://www.myspace.com/alcoveaudio/blog

Lavs provide their own challenges. They must be hidden, but you must also avoid pulling on the wires or getting clothing rub. You may have to change the position of the lav when you change the shot so you get optimum voice pickup. As far as the lavs themselves that will also vary depending upon the situation. Omnis are usually used, but not infrequently a cardioid will be used, and even a uni on that rare occassion. BTW, there is nothing "natural" sounding about lavs.

As far as vendors go I use B&H Photo for my production sound and video gear, and Sweetwater for my studio equipment.

Back