• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

white room/walls and HDV lattitude?

Shooting HDV (Canon XH-A1). Will I get blowout if the room walls of an interior scene are white, because of digital's less forgiving lattitude compared to film, so that I should paint the walls a hue having more tone? The scene will be a bedroom scene, a couple in bed, futon mattress on a wood floor, candlelight (plus additional set lighting). In preproduction so I need to make a decision and buy some paint and paint the walls if needed.
:huh:

It would be easier if the walls are toned down, but I've shot commercial footage in a white room with lots of lights and the only problems I've had have required me to reposition a light to get rid of a glare, and turn a picture that had a silver frame which was glaring back at me. Your results may vary with how you have your camera configured, also.

Having said all that, I think white walls are boring. Hang some nice looking rugs on the walls, use some colored lights, or whatever it takes!

I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to how you light the scene. You can paint or not paint, according to taste/budget/time constraints.

Back