Which software?

Hi.

I am concidering using some different video edit software. I am currently using Ulead Video Studio SE, which is not bad but quite limited.

I would like to know of say the top 5 best software to use, However not final cut as I do not have a mac and never will;)

Good software should not crash to much, pinical studio seemed to crash a lot on me for some reason.

man thanks.

It's important to keep in mind that video editing is very demanding on the computer.. so hardware issues could well be more to blame than software for all the crashing.

I personally use Premiere Pro, because it integrates so nicely with the rest of their products, it offers a nice smooth workflow from capture through final output & dvd authoring.

Vegas is another good choice. It's cheaper, than premiere, and has basically all the same functionality. The bonus here is that vegas actually started its life as a multitrack audio editor, so you can do all of your sound mixing right within vegas -- no problem.

Those are really the only two I recommend.

I think im ok with the pc, I have just built a new one which should run well for editing, but you maybe right in the respect that there could be a hardware conflict with pinical.

Thankyou for your feedback, I shall check out vegas.

Well, it's a PC. Doesn't matter what software you get, it will never be 100% stable, unfortunately. Even the $1800 Adobe Production Studio can have its share of stability and compatibility issues. Trust me, I speak from experience. Mine was with the Creative Labs XFi sound card. I am still a PC guy and have been for most of my life, but I am my own tech support and can muddle through issues. Not everyone is that lucky. Try a selective startup (using msconfig) to help you isolate what could be conflicting.

But let's not turn this into yet another Mac versus PC thread. :)

On a side note, my work productivity system is an HP Dc5750, and it has been running 24/7 for the last 2 years or without so much as a hiccup (Windows XP Pro). If you get an HP Commercial system or Workstation as opposed to building your own, you have less chance for compatibility and stability issues. But I'm not using this one for video production. My video production unit is an HP Dc7700. Adding the Creative sound card to it was not the best choice.

Last edited:
I use the Pinnacle 12 Ultimate, with every available plug in. I use a 1Gig video card, 8 gig ram, 320G HD for capture, another 320 for working, yet another 320g for rendering and a 1Tera for storage and archive. It helps having a son that works as a geek squad at Best Buy. His employee prices are great! He built the system.

I have never had a crash, but the software has frozen a few times while loading a new project.

@doomedvideos: You could try Adobe Premiere Elements if you don't want to pay the whole 800$ or so for the full version. If you like the program and come to the point where you actually need the extra features of PPro, you can upgrade and won't have to relearn everything as both programs kinda work the same.
Here in germany, Magix Video Deluxe is a very good low-budget program that I've worked with in the past. However, I don't know if that's actually available outside germany.

Hope I could help,
Thomas

If you don't need super-advanced stuff, premiere elements should work great for you, that's what got me to go to the production premium eventually, it was great! Premiere Elements offers you the most advanced features of any program of its price range, it even does blue/green screen, lighting (think palpatine in star wars!) and many more cool stuff. I'd even recommend the double package, which comes with photoshop elements, it's great for montages and designing say...dvd covers!

I use the Adobe Production Premium CS3 (if you're a student, pricing is only $600, vs. I believe $1800). It's been fabulous, I have been using it under varying OS conditions on my quadcore and dual core machines. Last year, I went through total horror with vista, upgraded to xp, worked great for a while, but over the summer at WEVA, the Adobe representatives gave us a rather startling set of news: Vista 64bit (preferably Ultimate) had been vastly improved and now the fastest platform for performance and encoding (even against mac, as long as the hardware config was really really close), they basically told us, you gotta be an "atheist" with computers, all OS's crash when you work em hard, there's no way out of it.

So basically, mac or pc, it'll work fine for you, just have a free antivirus program like avast running and your registry will be kept squeeky-clean, preventing millions of errors. Linux on the otherhand is pretty much useless for video, as neither the adobe suite nor FCP is made for it (nothing high-end is).

Linux on the otherhand is pretty much useless for video, as neither the adobe suite nor FCP is made for it (nothing high-end is).
However, some people have gotten Adobe Photoshop CS2 working in Linux with a program called Wine. There's even a commercial app for running Windows Apps on Linux, but I forgot it's name.
However, editing Videos with Linux can be a huge pain as some codecs ect. are not supported. But if you don't want to spend any money at all, there're some great editing tools on Linux (much better than Windows movie maker, however not as good as say Premiere Elements). Ubuntu Studio is a distribution completely designed for editing video, audio and photos. It comes preinstalled with some really great apps, so for people that don't want to spend any money at all, it's worth checking out.

Back